The BEST Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
These are the BEST Chicken enchiladas recipe! My cuisine of choice anytime I go out is Mexican and this easy enchilada recipe definitely satisfies my inner enchilada lover!
These have been one of my most popular recipes since I first posted, which I am not surprised! My easy homemade enchilada sauce really makes it outstanding, so don’t skip that step! These are so good, I can’t order them out now, because I am always disappointed.
Helpful Tips for Making Chicken Enchiladas:
I always have shredded chicken breast on hand, I usually make a whole package of chicken breast in my slow cooker to use for recipes throughout the week. Top the chicken with water or broth and cook low 4 to 6 hours. Leftover chicken would also work. The enchilada sauce in this recipe is so good I created a separate post for it, I usually make double and freeze the rest!
What should I put in my enchiladas?
Enchiladas can be filled with anything you can think of! In this Chicken Enchiladas recipe, I used shredded chicken breast, but here’s a few more ideas.
- Vegetarian enchiladas are great with refried beans or zucchini and cheese, then topped with sauce and more cheese.
- Leftover taco meat or picadillo also makes a great filling for enchiladas. You can use beef or turkey for this.
- For a pork option, try this Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas.
How To Make Chicken Enchiladas
A few ways to serve enchiladas:
- Great with Yellow Rice or Cilantro Lime Rice
- Keep it low-carb with veggie rice such as Cilantro-Lime Cauliflower “Rice” or Mexican Cauliflower “Rice”
- Leftovers are great the next day with a few avocado slices
More Enchilada Recipes
- Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas with Creamy Salsa Verde Sauce
- Enchilada Chicken Roll Ups
- Classic Enchiladas Verdes
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Turkey Enchilada Stuffed Turkey Rellenos
For the enchilada sauce:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
For the chicken:
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 9 oz cooked shredded chicken breast, from 2 small breasts
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
For the enchilada:
- 8 7-inch low-carb whole wheat flour tortillas, (la tortilla factory)
- 1 cup shredded low fat Mexican cheese
- non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions or cilantro for topping
- In a medium saucepan, spray oil and sauté garlic. Add chipotle chiles, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic on low until soft, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, salt, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Put 1/3 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll it.
- Place on baking dish seam side down, top with sauce. Then top with cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes. Top with low fat sour cream or scallions if you wish. (Extra points) Makes 8 enchiladas.
Photo credit Sarah of Broma Bakery