The BEST Chicken enchilada recipe! These easy chicken enchiladas are made with shredded chicken, cheese and my homemade enchilada sauce.
When I go out for Mexican food, I always order the chicken enchiladas because it’s my favorite!! This enchilada recipe has been one of my most popular recipes since I first posted it, which I am not surprised! My easy homemade enchilada sauce really makes it outstanding, so don’t skip that step! These are so good, I can’t order them out now, because I am always disappointed. Serve enchiladas with Cilantro Lime Rice and Refried Beans.
- Garlic and onion, minced
- Chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, to taste
- Tomato sauce
- Chipotle chili powder, ground cumin, kosher salt, and fresh pepper, to taste
- Reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Cooked, shredded chicken breast (from a store-bought rotisserie chicken or slow-cooked shredded chicken). Chicken thighs also work
- Garlic and onion, minced
- Kosher salt, cumin, dried oregano, and chipotle chili powder, to taste
- Chicken broth and tomato sauce
- Whole wheat flour or gluten-free tortillas
- Shredded part-skim Mexican cheese blend, cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
- Chopped scallions or cilantro plus optional toppings such as sour cream, avocado, Greek yogurt, jalapenos, etc.
How To Make Chicken Enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Make the enchilada sauce: In a pot, sauté minced garlic in oil. Add chipotle chiles, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 5-10 mins and set aside.
- Make the chicken filling: In a skillet, sauté minced onion and garlic. Add shredded chicken, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Cook for 4-5 mins and set aside.
- Assemble: Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with oil. Put 1/3 cup of chicken mixture onto each tortilla, roll them up, and place seam-side down in the dish.
- Bake: Pour enchilada sauce on top, sprinkle shredded cheese, and bake covered for 20-25 mins.
- Garnish with chopped scallions or cilantro and add optional toppings. Serve hot and enjoy!
What is an Enchilada?
An enchilada is a traditional Mexican dish that typically consists of a tortilla filled with anything from meat, cheese, beans, vegetables, and spices, and then rolled up and covered with a enchilada sauce. Enchiladas are served hot and can be topped with additional cheese, sour cream, avocado and other toppings.
What should I put in my enchiladas?
Enchiladas can be filled with anything you can think of! In this Chicken Enchilada recipe, I used shredded chicken breast, but here’s a few more ideas.
- Vegetarian enchiladas are great with refried beans, white beans, butternut squash or zucchini and cheese, then topped with sauce and more cheese.
- Leftover taco meat or picadillo also makes a great filling for enchiladas. You can use beef or turkey for this.
- For pork enchiladas, try this Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas as the filling.
- The enchilada sauce in this recipe is so good I created a separate post for it, I usually make double and freeze the rest!
How to cook shredded chicken for enchiladas:
To make shredded chicken in the slow cooker use boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs) and top with enough water or broth to cover. Cook on low 4 to 6 hours, then drain and shred. You can also use leftover chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken which is so much quicker if you don’t have time.
What to serve with enchiladas:
- Perfect with Refried Beans, Black Beans and Rice, Mexican Rice, Yellow Rice or Cilantro Lime Rice
- Keep it low-carb with veggie rice such as Cilantro-Lime Cauliflower “Rice” or Mexican Cauliflower “Rice”
- Leftovers are great the next day with a salad and a few avocado slices.
This chicken enchilada recipe has been one of my go-to recipes for years and are always a hit when we serve them to friends and family. If you’re debating on if you should make them, I vote yes, and let me know what you think!
More Enchilada Recipes
- Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas with Salsa Verde Sauce
- Enchilada Chicken Roll Ups
- Classic Enchiladas Verdes
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Turkey Enchilada Stuffed Turkey Rellenos
The Best Chicken Enchilada Recipe
- 9 x 13 Inch Baking Dish (This one is pretty for serving!)
For the enchilada sauce:
For the chicken:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces cooked shredded chicken breast, from 2 breasts of a rotisserie chicken or shredded chicken in the slow cooker*
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Spray a medium pot with oil and and add garlic, sauté 30 seconds. Add chipotle chiles, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes, to let the flavors meld. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic on low until soft, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, salt, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with oil. Put 1/3 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll it.
- Place on baking dish seam side down, top with sauce. Then top with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes, until it's heated through and the cheese is melted. Garnish with scallions or cilantro. Optional: top with your favorite toppings if desired. (Extra points) Makes 8 enchiladas.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo credit Sarah of Broma Bakery