Skinny Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken enchiladas are always my dish of choice when I go out for Mexican and this recipe is as good as any recipe you’ll find in a restaurant (if not better) only much lighter! If you’re an enchilada lover like me, you will love these!!
I always have shredded chicken breast on hand, I usually make a whole package of chicken breast in my slow cooker to use for recipes throughout the week. Top the chicken with water or broth and cook low 4 to 6 hours. Leftover chicken would also work. The enchilada sauce in this recipe is so good I even created a separate post for it, I usually make extra and freeze the rest!
A few ways to serve these enchiladas:
- Great with Yellow Rice or Cilantro Lime Rice
- Keep it low-carb with veggie rice such as Cilantro-Lime Cauliflower “Rice” or Mexican Cauliflower “Rice”
- Leftovers are great the next day with a few avocado slices
Skinny Chicken Enchiladas
Skinny Chicken Enchiladas are perfect if you’re an enchilada lover like me! As good as any recipe you’ll find in a restaurant (if not better) only much lighter!
For the enchilada sauce:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
For the chicken:
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 8.5 oz (2 breast halves) cooked shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
For the enchilada:
- 8 (7-inch) low-carb whole wheat flour tortillas (la tortilla factory )
- 1 cup shredded low fat Mexican cheese
- non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions or cilantro for topping
- In a medium saucepan, spray oil and sauté garlic. Add chipotle chiles , chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic on low until soft, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, salt, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Put 1/3 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll it.
- Place on baking dish seam side down, top with sauce.
- Then top with cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes. Top with low fat sour cream or scallions if you wish. (Extra points) Makes 8 enchiladas.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 1 enchilada
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 4
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 194 calories
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Sodium: 640mg
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 9.5g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 18g
Photo credit Sarah of Broma Bakery