Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork)
I know a lot of you share my love for Mexican food, so I think you will agree this is the most amazing pork recipe for the crock pot. Coming home from work and smelling this when you walk in the door is heavenly.
Browning the pork first is essential so don’t skip this step. Pork shoulder is very inexpensive and you can make a few meals out of this. Be sure to buy the boneless pork shoulder blade roast, as it is leaner than the pork shoulder picnic. The prep for this is about 15 minutes the night before. Get it ready and refrigerate it so you simply take it out and plug it in when you get up. Serve this with tortillas, use in burritos, or simply have this with cilantro lime rice. You can make your own Chipotles burrito bowl with lettuce, sour cream, corn salsa, guacamole, or whatever else you usually put in yours!
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork)
- 2 1/2 pounds trimmed, boneless pork shoulder blade roast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 6 cloves garlic, cut into sliver
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sazon (I used homemade)
- 1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dry adobo seasoning (I used Goya)
- Season pork with salt and pepper.
- In a medium sauté pan on medium-high heat, brown pork on all sides for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Using a sharp knife, insert blade into pork, cutting small holes and insert garlic slivers all the way in so you no longer see them.
- Season pork generously with cumin, adobo, sazon, oregano all over.
- Pour chicken broth in the crockpot, add bay leaves and chipotle peppers.
- Place pork in crock pot and cover.
- Cook low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, shred pork using two forks and combine well with the juices that accumalated at the bottom.
- Remove bay leaves and adjust salt and cumin as needed.
- Let it cook another 15-30 minutes.
Yield: 11 servings, Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 3
- Points +: 4
- Calories: 160 calories
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- Sodium: 397mg
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 0g
- Protein: 20g