Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Warning: this smells incredible while it slow cooks all day!
I’m not a fan of pulled pork that is swimming in sauce, so I use just enough to flavor the pork along with the reserved juices of the pork and serve the extra sauce on the side. I made a quick slaw with shredded cabbage, carrots, a little vinegar, salt and a touch of olive oil and it was perfect.
I used the smallest roast I could find since I was making this for my family. Depending on the size of your pork loin, you will have to alter how much BBQ sauce to add. Keep in mind the pork shrinks after it is cooked, so you will want to weigh it cooked. I basically added 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce for every 3 ounces of cooked pork along with some of the reserved juices from the pork. (If your kids don’t like BBQ sauce, set some of the pork on the side for them before adding it back to the crock pot)
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Pulled pork is one of those dishes you can serve all year round. It’s perfect for pot lucks or large gatherings because you can feed a crowd without slaving in the kitchen. I came up with this leaner version using boneless pork loin roast and homemade BBQ sauce which gave me complete control of what was added.
- 2.5 lb boneless pork loin roast (center cut, trimmed of all fat)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Hickory liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup Homemade Kansas City BBQ Sauce
- Place pork in the slow cooker and season with salt, vinegar, garlic powder and liquid smoke.
- Cover and set to high 6 hours.
- Remove pork and transfer onto a large dish; reserve all the liquid into a cup and set aside.
- Shred the pork with two forks and put it back into the slow cooker along with about 3/4 cup of the reserved liquid and the BBQ sauce (for every 3 oz cooked pork, I used 2 tbsp BBQ sauce).
- Cook on high one more hour.
*Nutritional info is for pork only, bread is extra.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 3 oz pork + 2 tbsp sauce
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 6
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 206 calories
- Total Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 554mg
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sugar: 10g
- Protein: 26.5g