Baked Sweet Potato (How To Bake Sweet Potatoes)
Making a Baked Sweet Potato in the oven is so easy and comes out perfectly sweet and fluffy on the inside with this foolproof recipe.
Baked Sweet Potato
Roasting sweet potatoes in the oven brings out their natural flavor and sweetness. There is no need to add syrup or marshmallows to them; they are perfectly sweet on their own. If your busy and working all day, I also love making them in the crock pot, with this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Recipe –just dump them in, set it and forget it.
Baked sweet potatoes are the perfect, healthy side dish in the fall months. They are also great stuffed as a main dish, like this Vegetarian Loaded Sweet Potato Chili and Sloppy Joe Baked Sweet Potato. If you like to simply eat it with some butter on top, a little goes a long way or try it with coconut oil to keep it dairy free. To save calories, omit all together and try sprinkling on cinnamon, cumin, chili powder or even pumpkin spice.
Are sweet potatoes healthy?
Sweet potatoes are a whole food that pack a powerful nutritional punch. In one medium potato, you get over 400 percent of your daily vitamin A requirement. They are also high in fiber and potassium and are a great source of beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that gives orange fruits and vegetables their vibrant color.
When buying sweet potatoes, avoid sweet potatoes with soft skin or wrinkles, cracks, or soft spots. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 3 to 5 weeks.
How To Bake Sweet Potatoes
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Italian Style
- Sweet Potato and Chicken Hash
- Baked Sweet Potato Skins
Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, 5.5 ounces each, scrubbed clean
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- optional toppings: butter, coconut oil, cinnamon, salsa, yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425F. On a baking sheet, (lined with foil for easy clean-up if you wish) prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork.
- Bake until tender, or until a fork inserted in the thickest part has no resistance, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool, then split the tops open with a knife. Season with salt and pepper and add your favorite toppings.
Photo credit: Jess Larson