Making a Baked Sweet Potato in the oven is so easy and comes out perfectly sweet and fluffy on the inside with this foolproof recipe.
Baked Sweet Potato
Roasting sweet potatoes in the oven brings out their natural flavor and sweetness. If you’re busy and working all day, I also love making them in the crock pot, with this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Recipe –just dump them in, set it and forget it. There is no need to add syrup or marshmallows to them; they are perfectly sweet on their own. But if you’re really craving that sweet tooth, I love my Sweet Potato Brulee with a brown sugar crust, Classic Sweet Potato Pie and Mini Sweet Potato Meringue Pie.
Baked sweet potatoes are the perfect, healthy side dish in the fall months. They’re also naturally gluten-free. Using this method, there’s no need to wrap them in foil. This can also be made with yams instead, they roast up perfect!
- Sweet Potatoes
- Salt and Black Pepper
How To Bake Sweet Potatoes
Preheat oven to 425F. Scrub potatoes and wash to remove dirt, dry well.
On a baking sheet (lined with foil or parchment paper for easy clean-up if you wish) poke holes all over the sweet with a fork.
Bake in the center of the oven until the sweet potatoes or tender, or until a fork inserted in the thickest part has no resistance, about 50 minutes.
Let it cool, then split the tops open with a knife. Season with salt and pepper and add your favorite toppings.
Ways to Enjoy Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Simple: As a side dish, I like to simply eat it with some butter on top (a little goes a long way!) or try it with coconut oil to keep it vegan and dairy free.
- Spices: For a little extra flavor, sprinkle on some cinnamon, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder or even pumpkin spice.
- Fresh Herbs: Fresh chopped chives, parsley or scallions for garnish and flavor.
- Cream: Sour cream or Greek yogurt, for topping.
- Main Dish: They are also great stuffed as a main dish, topped with chili, or try this Vegetarian Loaded Baked Sweet Potato made with black beans, or this Sloppy Joe Baked Sweet Potato.
Store leftover baked sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Are sweet potatoes healthy?
Sweet potatoes are a whole food that pack a powerful nutritional punch. In one medium potato, you get over 400 percent of your daily vitamin A requirement. They are also high in fiber and potassium and are a great source of beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that gives orange fruits and vegetables their vibrant color.
Tips for buying sweet potatoes
When buying sweet potatoes, avoid sweet potatoes with soft skin or wrinkles, cracks, or soft spots. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 3 to 5 weeks.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato and Chicken Hash
- Slow Cooker Chickpea Sweet Potato Stew
Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425F. On a baking sheet, (lined with foil for easy clean-up if you wish) prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork.
- Bake until tender, or until a fork inserted in the thickest part has no resistance, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool, then split the tops open with a knife. Season with salt and pepper and add your favorite toppings.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo credit: Jess Larson