Baked Sweet Potato (How To Bake Sweet Potatoes)
Making a Baked Sweet Potato in the oven is so easy and comes out perfectly sweet and fluffy on the inside with this foolproof recipe.
Baked Sweet Potato
Roasting sweet potatoes in the oven brings out their natural flavor and sweetness. If you’re busy and working all day, I also love making them in the crock pot, with this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Recipe –just dump them in, set it and forget it. There is no need to add syrup or marshmallows to them; they are perfectly sweet on their own. But if you’re really craving that sweet tooth, I love my Sweet Potato Brulee with a brown sugar crust, Classic Sweet Potato Pie and Mini Sweet Potato Meringue Pie.
Baked sweet potatoes are the perfect, healthy side dish in the fall months. I like to simply eat it with some butter on top, a little goes a long way or try it with coconut oil to keep it dairy free. To save calories, omit all together and try sprinkling on cinnamon, cumin, chili powder or even pumpkin spice.
They are also great stuffed as a main dish, like this Vegetarian Loaded Sweet Potato Chili, Sloppy Joe Baked Sweet Potato and Italian Marinara and Mozzarella Stuffed Sweet Potato. I also love Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Skins and Hasselback Sweet Potato with Balsamic Glaze.
Are sweet potatoes healthy?
Sweet potatoes are a whole food that pack a powerful nutritional punch. In one medium potato, you get over 400 percent of your daily vitamin A requirement. They are also high in fiber and potassium and are a great source of beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that gives orange fruits and vegetables their vibrant color.
When buying sweet potatoes, avoid sweet potatoes with soft skin or wrinkles, cracks, or soft spots. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 3 to 5 weeks.
How To Bake Sweet Potatoes
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Turmeric Roasted Sweet Potato and Macadamia Soup
- Sweet Potato and Chicken Hash
- Slow Cooker Chickpea Sweet Potato Stew
Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, 5.5 ounces each, scrubbed clean
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- optional toppings: butter, coconut oil, cinnamon, salsa, yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425F. On a baking sheet, (lined with foil for easy clean-up if you wish) prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork.
- Bake until tender, or until a fork inserted in the thickest part has no resistance, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool, then split the tops open with a knife. Season with salt and pepper and add your favorite toppings.
Photo credit: Jess Larson