One bite of this Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayonnaise served with creamy avocado and you won’t miss the meat!
Yes, these were good enough to please even the adult carnivore’s in my home (a bit too spicy for my kids).
Make no mistake, I love meat, but I also think it’s good to give it up at least once a week, so why give Meatless Mondays a shot? Pretty inexpensive to make and really not hard to make. The hardest part is forming them into patties, and even that isn’t so bad.
How To Make Black Bean Burgers
These cook best if frozen so plan to make them ahead and cook as needed. You can even double the batch to keep them on hand whenever you need them.
How To Freeze
To store them in your freezer, freeze them on wax paper until they set, about 2 hours, then transfer them into containers. Labeling them with a name and date keeps them organized.
Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayonnaise
For the Spicy Chipotle Mayo:
- 3 1/2 tbsp light mayonnaise Hellman's
- 1 tbsp canned chipotle in adobo sauce
For the Black Bean Burgers:
- 16 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 jumbo egg
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 cup quick oats use gf oats for gluten free
- 4 whole wheat 100 calorie buns Martin's*
- 1 small hass avocado sliced thin
- Combine mayonnaise and chipotle, set aside.
- Dry the beans well after washing, extra moisture will keep the burgers from sticking.
- In a medium bowl, mash beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, cilantro, onion, and garlic, then add oats, then eggs and spices.
- Then stir into mashed beans.
- Divide mixture into four patties (using slightly oiled hands helps) and place them onto a flat surface covered with wax paper. (If it's too wet, chill the mixture 30 minutes in the refrigerator or add another tablespoon of oats)
- Freeze at least 2 hours before cooking or keep frozen until ready to cook.
- Heat a lightly sprayed skillet to medium heat and cook frozen burgers about 7 minutes on each side.
- If grilling, preheat grill over medium heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil; grill 7-8 minutes on each side or you can bake in the oven at 375° on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
*Nutritional value will vary slightly depending on buns. Look for low calorie whole wheat buns. For gluten free buns look for Udi’s or Three Baker’s brand. Points will increase.
As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I received Glad FreezerWare Containers to review. All opinions are my own.