Skinny chocolate chip cookies made with absolutely no butter or oil sandwiched together with fat-free frozen yogurt and colored sprinkles. If this doesn’t say summer, I don’t know what does!
Don’t you love happy mistakes?
Last week someone tweeted me and told me they made my Best Low Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever but accidentally left out the butter and they came out great. So naturally I had to see for myself, and I couldn’t believe it, they were great! For this recipe I also reduced the sugar a bit since I am adding sprinkles, they worked out great.
Since then I’ve been obsessing on turning them into ice cream sandwiches. I mentioned the other day on my Very Berry Banana Fro-Yo Shake how much I love Stonyfield’s frozen vanilla yogurt so I put it to the test. Fourth of July will be here in no time so I made them red, white and blue. Colored sprinkles would be pretty too!
These are a little messy, but fun to make with the kids. You don’t have to make the whole batch, you can make as little as one sandwich as needed or make them all. The only advice I have is make sure the frozen yogurt is really cold, and after you dip them into the sprinkles place them back in the freezer until they set. Keep them frozen until you are ready to eat, enjoy!
Skinny Chocolate Chip Fro-Yo Sandwiches
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups organic fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt, I used Stonyfield's
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two cookie sheets with non-stick silicone baking liners such as Silpats (I highly recommend for best results) with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt and stir to blend.
- In another bowl, whisk the sugars, egg white, applesauce and vanilla together until light and fluffy.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in two additions until the batter is very well blended. If the batter looks more “crumbly” than smooth, add just a drop of water at a time (ONLY if needed) until it smooths out.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by level spoonfuls about 1 inch apart onto baking sheets. Bake 8 - 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let them stand 5 minutes before removing the cookies from the pans to cool on wire racks.
- When completely cooled, place 1 1/2 tablespoons frozen yogurt (I used a cookie scoop) in between 2 cookies and sandwich together.
- Roll the edges in colored sprinkles, place on a platter and return to the freezer until ready to eat.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.