Swapping bread for baked sweet potatoes makes eating a Sloppy Joe so much healthier! This easy sweet potato recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, whole30 and Paleo.
Sloppy Joes Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
A baked sweet potato is great as a side dish, but to make it a main meal you can load it with anything you can think of! I love this sloppy joe version, a few of my other favorites are Mexican-style Stuffed Sweet Potato (Vegetarian), Italian-Style Stuffed Sweet Potato, and Sweet Potato Skins.
Sweet potatoes are so good for you, but they often get topped with butter and sugar. Instead, I love the savory-sweet combination of this dish. I made these for lunch yesterday and shared on Instagram, and so many of you asked me for the recipe so here it is! One serving is just 259 calories, 8 Weight Watcher Smart Points, and also happens to be gluten-free, dairy-free, whole30 compliant and Paleo.
This is also a great recipe to make if you like to meal prep for the week, just pack them in portion sized containers and keep them in the fridge for quick meals for the week.
You can make baked sweet potatoes in the oven, microwave or slow cooker! Directions provided for all three methods.
How To Make Sloppy Joe Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
More Sweet Potato Recipes:
- Turmeric Sweet Potato and Macadamia Nut Soup
- No Bean Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
- Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
Sloppy Joes Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium, 7 oz each sweet potatoes, washed and dried
- 1/2 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, such as Montreal Steak
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 chopped scallion, for garnish
- Cook the sweet potatoes by poking holes all over with a fork, then cook in microwave 7 to 10 minutes, or slow cooker low 6 to 8 hours or oven 425F about 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the meat and steak seasoning to the pan and cook, breaking it up into small pieces. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms and red peppers to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and add red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, cook 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, paste and water to the skillet, stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to simmer and cook until carrots are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- To serve, cut sweet potatoes open, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and top each with 1/2 cup of meat and scallion for garnish.