Baked Sweet Potato Skins
These cheesy baked sweet potato skins are loaded with fat free black refried beans, salsa and cheddar cheese. This easy sweet potato recipe needs just a few ingredients but it tastes SO good!
Baked Sweet Potato Skins are a healthy alternative to potato skins, perfect appetizer whether you’re watching the Super bowl or getting together with friends. So quick and easy to make, a few of my other favorite baked potato recipes are Italian-Style Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, Sloppy Joe Baked Sweet Potatoes, and Mexican- Style Loaded Sweet Potato.
This potato skins recipe vegetarian and naturally gluten-free for those of you with dietary restrictions. To find smaller sweet potatoes like the ones used here, it’s best to buy them in a bag which usually come smaller than the ones sold single.
What to do with the scooped out potato?
Scooped sweet potato can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days. I like to mix it with just a smidge of butter, low-fat milk, salt and pepper and serve it alongside chicken breast.
More Sweet Potato Recipes You might Enjoy:
- Turmeric Sweet Potato and Macadamia Nut Soup
- No Bean Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
- Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
Baked Sweet Potato Skins
These cheesy baked sweet potato skins are loaded with fat free black refried beans, salsa and cheddar cheese. Just a few ingredients but they taste SO good!
- 6 small sweet potatoes (about 2 ¼ pounds)*
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fat free refried black beans
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Adjust oven rack to center of oven.
- Place whole sweet potatoes on a sheet pan covered in foil or parchment, poke each a few times with a fork. Bake until fork tender, 40-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Switch oven from bake to broil.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl combine black beans with taco seasoning.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and carefully scoop out flesh with a metal spoon, leaving about ¼-inch of flesh intact.*
- Place potatoes, skin side up back on the sheet pan, spray with olive oil, top with pinch salt and pepper, and broil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove skins from oven, turn over and fill each with black beans, 1 tbsp salsa and 1 tbsp cheese then return to oven to broil 2 minutes more.
- Top with each skin with scallions and cilantro and eat right away.
* Weight of each skin after the potato is scooped out is about 1 1/2 ounces each.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 2 loaded skins
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 4
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 150.5 calories
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Sodium: 445mg
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 8g