Moist Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread, made with a whole wheat flour blend and apple sauce in place of butter, is a healthy and delicious breakfast your family will love!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
If you want to know how to make zucchini bread moist, I have a few tricks! First, don’t squeeze the water from the zucchini, it adds moisture. Also swapping most of the butter with apple sauce makes this zucchini bread perfectly moist. I have tons of zucchini recipes! If you want a more classic recipe with no chocolate try this Classic Zucchini Bread. If you want extra chocolate try this Chocolate Zucchini Bread, and of you love cake, this Banana Zucchini Cake is delicous!
Madison was one when I first played around with this healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread recipe, and she instantly loved it. It’s always been a hit with her, even when she went through a phase of not liking zucchini. Plus, chocolate chips are always a winner. If your kids aren’t fans of zucchini, give this bread a try. It’s the perfect way to get them to eat a new vegetable.
Do you squeeze water out of zucchini for bread?
No, you do not need to squeeze the water out of the zucchini for this recipe. The water from the zucchini gives the bread extra moisture.
How to Store Zucchini Bread
Store the zucchini bread in the fridge so that it’ll last longer.
Can zucchini bread be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze zucchini bread. To freeze, slice the bread and freeze the slices with parchment paper in between for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in the microwave. You can also microwave the bread for a little longer straight from the freezer.
How to keep the chocolate chips from sinking
If you’re wondering how to keep the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of this bread, I learned a trick after I shared this recipe. Simply toss the chips with a little flour before adding them to the batter and they won’t sink.
- To save time, shred the zucchini in a food processor instead of with a box grater.
- Use whole wheat flour instead of white whole wheat, or use all white whole wheat and no all-purpose for an extra whole-grain boost.
- If you don’t have unsweetened applesauce, you can use bananas, but it will change the flavor.
- Add a little nutmeg, cinnamon, or cardamom.
- Swap the chocolate chips for pecans, walnuts, or blueberries, or skip them altogether.
- Make chocolate chip zucchini muffins – start checking them around 25 minutes and bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
More Quick Bread Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chocolate Chip Banana Petite Loaves
- Irish Soda Bread
- Applesauce Nut Bread
- Blueberry Banana Bread
- Mango Nut Bread
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- cooking spray
- 1 cup all purpose flour, I used unbleached
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour, regular whole wheat flour would work
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 1 ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded zucchini, not packed, not squeezed (from about 1 1/4 large)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add chocolate chips and gently mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mix egg, vanilla, melted butter, apple sauce and zucchini. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared 9x5-inch loaf pan. Bake 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and let it cool before slicing.