There is nothing like fresh baked bread for breakfast. This low fat bread uses one of my favorite tropical fruits, the mango. The addition of coconut flakes gives this bread a tropical flair. I love this with a smear of mango butter!!
For those of you who have never baked bread before, this is very simple to make. The only appliance I used was a blender to purée the mango. The rest was mixed by hand.
Mango Nut Bread
- 1 cup mango purée, about 2 ripe mangos
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup unbleached whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Puree mango in a blender until smooth.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add nuts and coconut and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mix eggs, melted butter and puréed mango.
- Add to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Pour batter into a large 9x5 inch loaf pan and bake at 325° for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes.
- Remove loaf from pan and let it cool before slicing.