I love to have Irish Soda Bread for breakfast hot out of the oven with some low fat spread and a cup of tea. This is very easy to make, even if you have no experience baking.
Perfect recipe for the St Patrick’s Day holiday. If you prefer to make a bread to serve with dinner, omit the raisins and sugar and you can add caraway seeds. A great side to Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage or a Cream of Asparagus Leek Soup with Creme Fraiche.
Low Fat Irish Soda Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups 1% buttermilk
- 3 oz 2/3 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix all dry ingredients (first 5) in a large bowl with a whisk.
- Slowly add buttermilk stirring with a wooden spoon until a soft dough is formed.
- Add raisins, knead the dough lightly on a sheet of wax paper or a floured surface for about 1 minute.
- Form into a round, slightly flattened shape.
- Place on a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, make an X at the top about 1/2 inch deep. Bake about 40 minutes, until golden.
- To test if it's done, insert a toothpick into the bread, if it comes out clean it is done.
- Let it cool on a bakers rack for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.