Who doesn’t love Vodka Sauce!! It is said that the vodka is used to release the acids and flavor in the sauce and enhance the sweetness of the cream. To lower the points I use half and half in place of heavy cream. Eat this with a low carb or high fiber pasta like Ronzoni Smart Taste to keep the points low and top with fresh grated cheese.
Penne alla Vodka
- In a large sauté pan heat butter on a low flame.
- Add garlic and shallots and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add prosciutto and red pepper flakes and cook another minute.
- Add tomatoes, vodka, salt and pepper and cook on low, covered about 20 minutes.
- Add basil and half and half, mix well and cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve this over pasta and top with grated cheese.