This healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread is so rich and moist that no one will ever know there’s zucchini in it. With walnut in every bite!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
I love a good zucchini bread, and this one is sure to please all those chocolate lovers out there! With all the zucchini that’s growing in my garden, I was inspired to try a new zucchini recipe. I have tons of savory zucchini recipes on my site like Baked Zucchini Sticks and Zucchini and Feta Fritters, but I love to bake desserts with it too. This chocolate zucchini bread is perfect as a snack, breakfast or enjoy it as a light dessert. For more zucchini recipes, you should also try these Flourless Chocolate Zucchini Brownies, or this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread.
This healthy zucchini bread is the perfect treat when you need a little something sweet. If you want to make it even more chocolatey, you can switch out the nuts for chocolate chips. This recipe replaced most of the fat with applesauce, so it’s low in fat yet still very moist. It contains no butter and just ¼ cup of oil.
Why do people put zucchini in bread?
Because it’s delicious! I kid, but seriously – people put zucchini in bread because it adds moisture without extra fat or calories. Zucchini contains a lot of water, which helps keep bread from drying out. Plus, zucchini is low in carbs and calories and full of vitamins and minerals, like manganese, potassium, and vitamins A, C, and K. It is a great way to add some nutrients to baked goods while keeping the nutrition info in check.
Can I freeze zucchini bread?
Yes, you can. This easy chocolate zucchini bread recipe makes two loaves, so it’s perfect for freezing if you’d like to save a loaf for later. You can freeze the loaf whole or in eight slices. If you slice it, put parchment paper in between each piece so they don’t freeze together. To reheat, thaw a slice in the refrigerator and then microwave for 20-30 seconds. You can also just microwave the bread a little longer straight from the freezer.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread Variations and Tips:
- If you don’t have any zucchini, try yellow squash.
- If you don’t like nuts or are allergic, use chocolate chips instead.
- Swap the walnuts for pecans.
- Put the batter in a muffin tin and make chocolate zucchini muffins.
- Save time by using a food processor instead of a box grater to grate the zucchini.
- Squeeze out all the liquid from the zucchini before mixing it with the other ingredients.
More Quick Bread Recipes You’ll Love:
- Makeover Banana Nut Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Petite Loaves
- Applesauce Nut Bread
- Mango Nut Bread
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, preferably Dutch-process
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1 3/4 ounces
- 2 cups grated zucchini, from 1 large (squeezed well with a dishcloth)
- Baking spray
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray two 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, applesauce, oil, vanilla and melted chocolate in another large bowl until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Fold in zucchini and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake the loaves 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Invert onto rack and cool completely.