Banana Nut Bread
This super moist banana nut bread recipe is insanely delicious and healthier than most because it uses less butter, oil and sugar than most recipes.
Banana Nut Bread
Banana Nut Bread is one of my favorite quick breads, and trust me, this recipe will not disappoint! In my family, we call this the “Best Ever Banana Nut Bread.” Make sure your bananas are extra ripe for best results. If you wish, you can leave the nuts out to make it nut-free. For variations, try this Blueberry Banana Bread or this Gluten Free Banana Bread recipe.
I make this recipe whenever I have ripe bananas on my counter that need to be used up. This recipe makes two loaves, so I usually freeze one for later. You can swap the walnuts for pecans if you wish. If banana bread is more your thing, then omit the nuts all together.
My daughter loves banana bread, so it’s the perfect breakfast. You can make it ahead and eat it during the week. Leftover bread can also be sliced and frozen.
This healthy banana nut bread recipe uses about half the sugar and butter than most recipes. The applesauce replaces the usual oil, and egg whites have fewer calories than whole eggs. There are only 104 calories per slice.
Tips and Variations for this Banana Bread recipe:
- Swap the walnuts for any nut you like or omit them entirely.
- Use extra ripe bananas for best results. They should have black spots and be very soft.
- For best results, avoid over-mixing the batter. Over-mixing can cause breads to be tough or gummy.
- You can halve the ingredients to make one loaf.
- You can turn this bread into banana muffins by baking the batter in muffin tins. Just decrease the bake time to 20-25 minutes and check for doneness with a toothpick.
How To Keep It Moist:
To keep banana nut bread moist, it’s important to store it correctly. You can keep the bread out overnight in an airtight container. Banana bread lasts for up to seven days in the refrigerator, or you can freeze it up to three months.
How To Freeze:
Slice the cooled bread, tightly wrap the slices individually, and then freeze. Transfer slices to a gallon-size bag and label with the name and date. To eat, remove from the freezer and let it thaw or microwave a few seconds.
How To Make Banana Nut Bread
More Banana Bread Recipes:
Banana Nut Bread
- 7 ripe medium bananas, 22 oz (2 2/3 cup) mashed chunky with fork
- 1/2 cup 4 oz unsweetened apple sauce
- 2-1/2 cups 13.5 ounces unbleached all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter, 2 oz, softened
- 1 cup (6 1/2 oz) light brown sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- baking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8x5 inch loaf pans with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg whites, apple sauce and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and blend at low speed until combined, add another 1/3 of the flour and blend at low speed, add remaining 1/3 of flour mixture and the bananas and blend at low speed until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour batter into loaf pans and bake on the center rack for 50 to 52 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the pan cool at least 20 minutes, bread should be room temperature before slicing.
Photo credit: Jess Larson