This vegan, Turmeric Roasted Sweet Potato Soup is creamy and dairy-free with macadamia nuts, ginger, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Turmeric Roasted Sweet Potato Soup (Vegan)
This healthy sweet potato soup is delicious and nourishing. The blended sweet potatoes and macadamia nuts thicken it without adding any dairy. The crushed macadamia nuts, lime juice, and cilantro on top are a must! If you’re looking for more fall sweet potato recipes, try my Chicken Sweet Potato and Kale Soup, Turkey Pot Pie with Sweet Potato Stuffing, and Turmeric Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes. And if it’s soup you crave, you can see more Soup Recipes here.
I just loved this vegan soup recipe from Tess Master’s cookbook The Perfect Blend. Her book, which is part of her blender series, offers 100 nutrient-dense recipes for healthy living with tasty, crowd-pleasing dishes. This soup takes about one hour to make as you roast the vegetables first, but it’s mostly hands-off and easy to make.
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup Ingredients
- Onions: I use red onions, but you could use yellow if that’s all you have.
- Sweet Potatoes: Peel and cut two pounds of sweet potatoes.
- Olive Oil and Kosher Salt for roasting the veggies
- Vegetable Broth: Swap chicken broth for vegetable.
- Spices: Fresh ginger, ground turmeric, cayenne pepper
- Macadamias: Choose unsalted.
- Toppings: Lime wedges, fresh cilantro, chopped macadamia nuts
How To Make Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- Roast Vegetables: Toss the sweet potatoes and onions in olive oil and salt. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for about 50 minutes at 375° The veggies will continue to cook in the soup.
- Simmer: Add the vegetables to a large pot with the broth and spices and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-high, and simmer the soup partially uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Macadamias: Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the nuts. Let the pot stand for 10 minutes to let the macadamias soften and the soup cool.
- Blend: Pour the soup into your blender in batches and puree for a couple of minutes. Once smooth and creamy, return all the soup to the pot, season it to taste, and warm on low heat.
- Finishing Touches: Serve the soup with a splash of lime juice, cilantro, and macadamia nuts.
How To Freeze Sweet Potato Soup
This sweet potato soup freezes well, so you can make it ahead and have meals for the next few months. I like to freeze soup in smaller containers so the servings are portioned. To thaw, put a container in the fridge overnight or microwave it for longer if pulled straight from the freezer.
Can I substitute yams for sweet potatoes in soup?
Yes, you can sub yams for sweet potatoes in this soup. Either will work, so use whatever you can find.
Can you use an immersion blender for soup?
You can use an immersion blender if that’s all you have, but it may not get the soup as smooth and creamy as a regular blender. For a regular blender, let the soup cool for a bit before blending. Also, remove the cap from the top of the blender and cover it with a towel so steam can escape.
More Fall Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Creamy Sausage and Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Butternut Pear Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup with Potato
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup
Turmeric Roasted Sweet Potato and Macadamia Soup
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 pounds orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks , (about 6 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher sea salt, plus more to taste
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup unsalted macadamias, 70g
- Fresh lime wedges, to serve
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro, to serve
- Optional chopped macadamias, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
- Toss the onions and sweet potatoes in oil and salt and spread out on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for about 50 min, until the vegetables are cooked but not burnt. You don’t want any black bits. You are going to put them into the pot to boil and cook further.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large saucepan and add the vegetable broth, ginger, turmeric, and cayenne.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-high, and simmer, partially covered, for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the macadamias. Allow the mixture to stand for 10 minutes to soften the nuts and cool the soup slightly.
- Pour the soup into your blender in batches and puree on high for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy. (For conventional blenders, remove the small center lid cap and cover the opening with a kitchen towel so steam can escape while you blend.)
- Return the soup to the saucepan, season to taste, and warm it over low heat.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and add a splash of the lime juice, top with cilantro and macadamias if using.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.