This thick and creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup with potato is family-friendly and lick-the-bowl good – one of my most popular soup recipes!
Broccoli Cheese Soup with Potato
When I was a kid, broccoli and cheese was my favorite thing to eat. Whenever we had leftover broccoli, I would heat it up the next day with melted cheese. This easy broccoli cheese potato soup reminds me of those after-school meals I would make for myself. What are some of your favorite childhood soups? Comment below to let me know! Some other broccoli soup recipes I love are this lower carb Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Cream of Broccoli Soup and this Macaroni and Cheese Soup with Broccoli.
This Broccoli Cheese Soup, a one-pot meal ready in under 30 minutes, is pure comfort in a bowl. As the weather gets cooler, it’s the perfect soup to warm up, and leftovers are great to pack for lunch. Also, if you have picky kids or family members, I think they would love this soup!
Is broccoli soup healthy?
This healthy broccoli cheese potato soup is loaded with veggies and has 239 calories, 16 grams of protein, and more than three grams of fiber per serving. The protein from the cheese and milk makes it extra filling.
Can I use frozen broccoli instead of fresh for soup?
I always use fresh broccoli when making this dish, but frozen broccoli would also work. You don’t have to thaw it before adding it to the soup.
How to thicken broccoli cheese soup?
I do a few things to thicken this broccoli cheese soup:
- Potato: The potatoes help thicken the soup without adding any cream.
- Dairy: The reduced-fat cheese and skim milk add creaminess without many calories.
- Blending: Using the immersion blender to puree the soup thickens it. If you don’t have one, you can transfer the soup in batches to a regular blender and pulse. You want the soup to be a little chunky, not totally smooth.
Can you freeze broccoli cheese potato soup?
I don’t typically freeze dairy, so I wouldn’t recommend freezing this broccoli cheese soup. However, if you want to try, let me know in the comments how it worked. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for three days.
What to Serve with Broccoli Cheese Soup:
Bread ideas to serve with broccoli and cheese soup:
- I love soup and a salad with a piece of bread like toasted whole grain or sour dough as classic side.
- These garlic knots would be great as a side dish to dunk in the soup.
- These easy garlic and rosemary biscuits make a delicious side.
Meats that go with broccoli and cheese soup:
I grew up having soup as a starter before my protein. So many options work here! Here’s a few:
- Pickle Brined Baked Chicken Tenders
- Oven Fried Chicken
- Bacon Wrapped Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Oven Fried Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Steak
- Potatoes: Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes are good options. If you’re watching your carbs, you could try swapping the potatoes for cauliflower, but I think the flavor is better with potatoes.
- Cheese: If you don’t have American cheese slices, you can add more shredded cheddar.
- Gluten-Free Soup: Swap the all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour or a tablespoon of arrowroot or corn starch.
- Vegetarian Broccoli Cheese Soup: Use vegetable broth instead of chicken.
How To Make Broccoli Cheese Soup
More Soup Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Turkey Chili Taco Soup
- Beef, Tomato and Acini Di Pepe Soup
- Baked Potato Soup
- Cream of Broccoli Soup
Your comments are helpful!! If you’ve tried this healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe or any other recipe on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! And if you took some photos of video, share it with me on Instagram or Tiktok!
Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour, AP, whole wheat or gluten-free flour
- 2 1/2 cups less sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt and fresh pepper
- 4 cups broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces, about 2 heads
- 1-1/2 cups reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 slices 2% cheddar or American cheese
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Chop onion, carrot, celery, garlic in a chopper or mini food processor.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add chopped vegetables and sauté on low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, salt and pepper to the pot and stir until smooth.
- Add chicken broth, milk and potatoes and set heat to high until it comes to a boil, then cover and cook on low until potatoes are soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets, Parmesan cheese, and stir well. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Cook uncovered until broccoli is cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add cheddar and American cheese, stir well and remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender quickly blend part of the soup for a quick second or two. If you don't have an immersion blender, remove about 1-2 cups of potatoes and broccoli, place it in your chopper, then add it back to the soup. This helps thicken it a bit.