Cream of Broccoli Soup is a favorite of comfort food mine. This healthy version uses no cream, simple ingredients and can be made in under 30 minutes!
Cream of Broccoli Soup
I love making creamy soups, especially in the Fall when the weather starts getting cold. A few other favorites of mine are Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Dad’s Creamy Cauliflower Soup and Cream of Asparagus Leek Soup. It’s perfect for lunch with some bread on the side, or serve it for dinner with a sandwich.
Why This Works
Most creamed soups are loaded with cream or flour which make them high in fat and calories. To slim this cream of broccoli soup down I use the vegetables to thicken it, keeping it thick before I puree it, then add a little sour cream and cheddar. The results are rich, creamy and delicious, and so easy to make from scratch.
If you want make this a vegan cream of broccoli, you can omit the milk and cheddar and use a vegan sour cream. You can also add a potato or some cauliflower florets which are just so great at adding extra creaminess to a soup once it’s pureed.
Tips for a healthy ‘no cream’ creamed soups
- Generally, having an immersion blender (affil link) is the best place to start if you don’t already own one. It saves so much time than putting hot soup into a blender in several batches.
- Adding veggies like potatoes, beans, legumes and cauliflower into a soup and pureeing are great for adding creaminess and thickness.
- And finally for adding that cream taste, adding a dollop or 2 of a light sour cream or even Greek yogurt can give you that heavy cream taste without compromising the soup.
How To Make Cream of Broccoli Soup
More Creamy Soup Recipes:
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- Clam Chowder
- Cream of Lentil Soup
- Cream of Zucchini Soup
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 4 1/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped (2/3 cup)
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped (2/3 cup)
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 5 heaping cups broccoli florets, 12 ounces
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, plus optional more for garnish
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a medium sized stock pot, bring chicken broth, onions, carrots, garlic, and celery to a boil. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli, milk and pepper and cook, covered, 10 more minutes.
- Add sour cream and puree soup with an immersion blender.
- Adjust black pepper to taste and heat through over medium heat, stir in the cheddar cheese and serve.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo credit: Jess Larson