The Best Instant Pot Corned Beef Recipe
It may be the most famous dish to eat on St. Patrick’s Day, but this Irish-American corned beef recipe is a favorite in my house any time of the year.
And now, thanks to the Instant Pot, it’s getting made even more frequently. Before, it would take hours to prepare this dish as it simmers on the stovetop all day but this pressure cooker version takes just 90 minutes. And the meat still comes out super tender every time.
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Recipe
Here are a few reasons you’ll love making corned beef in the Instant Pot.
- Hands-off. Once you add everything to the Instant Pot, this recipe is almost completely hands-off.
- Fast(er) cooking time. Corned beef is one of those dishes that typically takes HOURS to prepare but this Instant Pot version takes just 90 minutes.
- Only a handful of ingredients. Thanks to the corned beef brisket already being seasoned, this recipe requires just a handful of basic ingredients, like carrots and bay leaves.
What You’ll Need
This Instant Pot corned beef recipe is made with just a handful of ingredients. See the recipe card below for measurements.
- Corned beef brisket – Trimmed of any excess fat.
- Veggies – Carrots and frozen pearl onions give this corned beef recipe extra flavor and substance.
- Seasonings – Fresh parsley, bay leaves, and whole peppercorns help to season the dish.
- Cabbage – Cut into 6 equal wedges.
What Type of Meat is Corned Beef?
Corned beef is made from beef brisket cured in a salt brine and seasoned with spices like bay leaves, peppercorns, etc. It’s a tough cut of meat, which is why it needs to be slow cooked – though the Instant Pot speeds up the process significantly. (While still resulting in tender, melt-in-your-mouth meat.)
How to Make Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
The Instant Pot does most of the work in this corned beef and cabbage recipe.
- Add everything to the Instant Pot. Add the corned beef brisket and the other ingredients, except the cabbage, to the Instant Pot. Top with 3 cups of water.
- Cook. Cover and cook on high pressure for 1 1/2 hours. Allow to naturally release.
- Add the cabbage. Place the cabbage on top, cover again and cook for 3 minutes. Quick release.
- Enjoy. Transfer the meat to a platter, slice into 6 pieces, and enjoy.
Here are a few important tips to keep in mind for this corned beef recipe.
- Cut the meat in half. If you have a larger piece of brisket, cut it in half to fit, the cooking time will remain the same.
- Add potatoes. To add potatoes, cut them into 1 inch chunks then cook once the brisket is done, high pressure for 5 to 7 minutes, and natural release. Then add the cabbage and follow step 3.
- Rest before slicing. Allow the corned beef to rest on the platter for about five minutes before slicing, for the most tender and juicy corned beef slices.
What to Serve with Corned Beef and Cabbage
Wondering what to serve with this Instant Pot dinner? Here are a few of my favorites.
- To keep it low-carb I like to serve it with Creamy Cauliflower Mash with Kale (Low-Carb Colcannon), Cauliflower Mash or Sauteed Brussels Sprouts.
- Also great with roasted or boiled red potatoes, yukon potatoes. You can cook them in the pressure cooker, as noted above.
- Try them with these Whole Wheat Soda Bread Muffins.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
- Fridge. Leftover corned beef and cabbage can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Reheat. The easiest way to reheat this dish is in the microwave, though the stovetop would work too. You can also use the leftovers in dishes like corned beef hash.
More St Patrick’s Day Recipes You May Like:
- Shepherd’s Pie, Lightened Up
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Bell Pepper and Potato 4-Leaf Clover Fritatta
- Corned Turkey and Cabbage Dinner
- Corned Beef and Cabbage with Horseradish Cream
Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 2 pounds trimmed, lean corned beef brisket
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 tsp whole peppercorns
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- Place the corned beef brisket, carrots, pearl onions, parsley, bay leaves and peppercorns in the Instant pot and add 3 cups of water.
- Cover and cook on high pressure 1 1/2 hours. Natural release then open.
- Add the cabbage to the top, cover and cook on high pressure 3 minutes, quick release.
- Remove meat and slice into 6 pieces.