Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup made with cabbage, potatoes, bell peppers and aromatics simmered on the stove with corned beef create this wonderful one pot meal – a fun twist on a Classic Irish dish!
This is such a delicious way to enjoy corned beef incorporating lots of vegetables in a warm bowl of soup. This has become our family “go to” recipe in celebrating St. Patricks Day! I’ve updated the recipe to include slow cooker and Instant Pot directions.
A few notes: I purchased a 2 1/2 lb piece or corned beef brisket. After I trimmed all the fat off it was 2 lbs. I boiled all the beef in the soup which shrunk to 18 oz, but only used half (9 oz cooked) of the corned beef in the soup and used the other half in another recipe.
How To Make Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, chopped (whites and light green only)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 lb lean corned beef brisket (yields 9 oz cooked)
- 6 cups of water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 small head cabbage, cored and chopped
- fresh pepper to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium low heat.
- Add leeks and sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes; add garlic, carrots and yellow pepper and sauté about 2-3 minutes.
- Add corned beef, peppercorns or seasoning packet that comes with the corned beef, bay leaves, parsley and water; cover and bring to a boil.
- Simmer covered on low heat for 3 hours, until the meat becomes tender.
- Remove the corned beef, set it on a cutting board and shred with a fork.
- Return it to the pot then add the cabbage and potatoes, taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed.
- Cook until the potatoes and cabbage are tender, about 45 more minutes.
Slow Cooker Method:
- In a skillet heat oil over medium low heat, add leeks and sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes; add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker with the carrots, yellow pepper, corned beef, potatoes, peppercorns or seasoning packet that comes with the corned beef, bay leaves, parsley and water.
- Cover and cook on high until corned beef is tender, 4 1/4 hours (or 8 1/2 hours on low). Remove the corned beef, set it on a cutting board and shred with a fork, return to the pot, arrange cabbage over corned beef, cover, and continue cooking on high until cabbage is tender, 45 minutes (or 1 1/2 hours on low).
Instant Pot Method:
- Press saute and add the oil, leeks, garlic, carrot and yellow peppers, saute until soft, 4 to 5 minutes stirring.
- Add the corned beef, peppercorns or seasoning packet that comes with the corned beef, bay leaves, parsley and water. Cover and cook high pressure 90 minutes, until the meat is tender. Quick or natural release.
- Remove the corned beef, set it on a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return to the pot, add the potatoes and cabbage and cook high pressure 8 minutes, until tender. Quick release and serve.
Yield: 5 servings, Serving Size: 1 3/4 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 8
- Points +: 7
- Calories: 281 calories
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 782mg
- Carbohydrates: 31.5g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Protein: 14g