These Irish nachos style baked sweet potato wedges are topped with my favorite nacho toppings and they are dangerously good!! Such a fun sweet potato recipe!
Sweet Potato Irish Nachos
These Irish nachos are great for any party appetizer, or a recipe idea for St Patrick’s Day or the Superbowl. Some other party go-to’s are Greek Loaded Nachos, Jalapeno Popper Nachos and Cheesy Baked Sweet Potato Skins.
Irish nachos are basically loaded nachos made with french fries in place of the tortilla chips. I was really in the mood for them, especially after my husband would not stop talking about this pub he went to that makes the best Irish nachos. My wheels started turning and I knew I had to make them healthier.
Hello sweet potatoes to the rescue! Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A, and their crispy skin and sweet flesh are perfect when pairing with the savory-spicy seasonings.
- I find cutting them into wedges help keep them sturdier rather than cutting them into thin fries and it’s quicker to cut. If you have an air fryer you can use this to cook the fries as well.
- I combine a full fat sharp Cheddar from Cabot with a combination of light Pepper Jack cheese to give it a little spice.
- Feel free to top these with anything you like, a dollop of sour cream or also pico de gallo could also be fun.
- Top with some shredding chicken or beef, or even chickpeas for added protein and make it a meal!
These make for a great lunch or could be fun football food for this weekend. Enjoy!
More Sweet Potato Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Mashed Sweet Potato Brulee
- Sloppy Joes Baked Sweet Potato
- No Bean Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
- Slow Cooker Chickpea Sweet Potato Stew
- Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet Potato Irish Nachos
For the Potatoes:
- 1/2 bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese, I used Cabot
- 1/2 cup Pepper Jack light cheese
- 1 medium scallion, chopped
- pickled jalapeño slices
- 4 tbsp tomato, diced small
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- sliced black olives, optional
- salsa, for dipping
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with oil.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half, the place the cut side down on a cutting board and carefully cut each half into 3 equal sized wedges. This will give you 24 wedges total.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes and oil; toss well. Season with paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Place potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheets and bake in the center of the oven, uncovered for about 9 to 10 minutes on each side.
- Remove from oven and place fries into four small oven-safe dishes (or one large dish for sharing), top with bell peppers, cheddar and jack cheese and return to oven for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Finish with scallions, jalapeño, tomato, cilantro and black olives. Serve with salsa on the side.