Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Enchiladas (Low Carb)
These easy low carb breakfast enchiladas are gluten-free, grain-free and vegetarian using egg whites as a “tortilla” – perfect for vegetarians and keto diets!
Enchiladas are one of my favorite all time favorite Mexican comfort foods. But enchiladas for breakfast you might ask? Well I say yes, why not! You can also have them for dinner – perfect for Meatless Mondays! A few of my favorite enchiladas are my Quinoa Fiesta Enchilada Bake, Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas, and Enchiladas Verdes (Green Enchiladas).
These are basically glorified egg white omelets, stuffed with sauteed spinach and topped with enchilada sauce, avocado and cheese. Prep them ahead and bake when ready to serve, make them as hot or mild as you want. I used Frontera green chile enchilada sauce to speed this up, but I also think this would be awesome with homemade red enchilada sauce.
- You can use whole eggs in place of egg whites.
- If you follow a Paleo or Whole 30 diet, simply leave the cheese off.
Breakfast Egg White Spinach Enchilada Omelets
- 3 cups egg whites or egg whites from 18 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooking spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 10 oz packages frozen spinach
- 4.5 oz can chopped green chiles
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated reduced fat Colby-Jack cheese *omit for whole30 or paleo
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- Pour 1/3 cup enchiladas sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 inch baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites, water, and a pinch salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat the skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1/4 of the egg whites (about 1/2 cup), swirling to evenly cover the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until set, about 2 minutes.
- Flip and cook the other side until set, about 1 more minute.
- Set aside on a dish and repeat with the remaining eggs until all your egg "tortillas" are cooked and set aside. Should make 6.
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add scallions; cook for 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant, but not brown.
- Add tomato and cilantro, season with salt to taste and cook 1 more minute, until soft.
- Stir in spinach and green chile, and cook for about 5 more minutes, adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from the heat, and mix in 1/2 cup of the Colby-Jack cheese; mix well.
- Divide spinach between egg white "tortillas", about 1/3 cup each and roll, place each seam side down in baking dish.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce and remaining cheese, cover with foil and bake until hot and the cheese is melted, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve topped with diced avocado and scallions.