Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups
These low-carb Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups made with my homemade Enchilada Sauce give you authentic enchilada flavor without all the work, calories or fat. And you won’t even miss the tortillas!
Chicken breasts on their own can be a bit boring. Roll ‘em up with cheese and green chilis, smother them in enchilada sauce and more cheese and now you’re talking. These Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups give you authentic enchilada flavor without all the work, calories or fat. And you won’t even miss the tortillas!
Hi. I’m Danielle, freelance recipe developer, degreed nutritionist, grocery/cooking gadget guru, and author of True Eats (my food blog dedicated to simplifying food and cooking). I’m also the luckiest lady this side of the Mississippi because I’ve been a part of the amazing Skinnytaste team for the past few years.
As a California native, Mexican food is something we eat at least once a week. It’s tough because many (Americanized) Mexican dishes are loaded with cheese and sauce, which means calories, fat and some serious indigestion. Fine on occasion, but I wanted to create something that was lighter yet still satisfied my love of cheesy Mexican dishes. Thus, the Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups were born.
Like all the recipes I develop, these Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups are familiar yet unique. I hope you and your family enjoy them as much as we do! (To find out more about me and check out my blog, go to True Eats. You can also follow me on Facebook or Instagram @trueeatsdanielle)
More enchilada recipes you might enjoy:
- Skinny Chicken Enchiladas
- Turkey Enchilada Stuffed Turkey Rellenos
- Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas Verdes
- Classic Enchiladas Verdes
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
How To Make Chicken Enchilada Roll Ups
Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups
These Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups give you authentic enchilada flavor without all the work, calories or fat. And you won’t even miss the tortillas!
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- 1 (10-ounce) can mild red enchilada sauce (I used my homemade enchilada sauce)
- 1 ½ pounds (3) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild green chilis
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 large (6-ounce) avocado, cubed
- Chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, oregano, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. Rub on both sides of each chicken piece.
- Spray a small (8×6-ish) oval or rectangular baking dish with cooking spray and pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Lay chicken, cut side up on a work surface. Top each piece, in the center, with about 2 teaspoons chilis and 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese.
- Roll each one up and set them seam side down in the baking dish. Top with remaining sauce, cheese and chilis.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake 10-15 minutes more, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Top each chicken roll-up with a few avocado pieces and cilantro and serve.
To freeze, transfer to a freezer safe container once cooked and cool for up to 3 months.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1 roll-up with 1 ounce avocado
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 3
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 261 calories
- Total Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
- Sodium: 658mg
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 31g