White beans, shredded chicken, green chiles, sour cream and cheese – need I say more? This enchilada recipe is so good!
Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas Recipe
These have just the right amount of kick to them and hit the spot if you’re craving Mexican food. They are large filling (one enchilada is a perfect serving size) and go great with Mexican brown rice (or Mexican Cauliflower Rice for low-carb). The easiest way for me to make shredded chicken is in my crock pot. I let it cook all day while I’m away, then I come home and shred it and freeze the broth for other recipes. You can also use leftover rotisserie chicken.
Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas with Creamy Salsa Verde
For the Chicken and White Bean Filling:
For the Green Chile Enchilada Sauce:
- Preheat oven to 375°.
For the Filling
- In a medium pan, heat olive oil on low. Add onions, garlic and saute until soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add green chiles, beans, water, bullion, and cumin. Mix well and cover. Simmer on low 15 minutes.
- Remove cover, add chicken and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until it thickens and liquid boils down. Set aside.
For the Creamy Salsa Verde Sauce
- In a large nonstick pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and starts to turn translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth. Whisk until the sauce becomes smooth.
- Cook over medium heat until the sauce boils and thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Add green chiles, jalepeños, and salt to taste.
- Cook another minute then remove from the heat. Stir in the sour cream.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9×13″ baking dish. Fill each tortilla with 1/3 cup of the chicken/white bean filling.
- Roll the tortillas and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish. Continue filling remainder of the tortillas.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Top with cheese.
- Cover with aluminum and bake 20-30 minutes, until the enchiladas are hot and the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and top with fresh cilantro or scallions.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.