What’s better than coming home to homemade chicken stock broth and cleaning out your refrigerator at the same time. Simply throw all the ingredients into the Slow Cooker the night before, turn it on in the morning and come home to a splendid broth. Save the chicken for recipes where shredded chicken is needed or use it in your soup.
Homemade Chicken Broth From Your Crock Pot
Lot’s of people ask me for my chicken soup recipe but honestly, that depends on what’s in my fridge. Here’s an easy recipe for chicken stock. You can also use giblets, leftover chicken bones, wing tips or chicken backs.
Some recipe you can make using this homemade stock are Chicken Noodle Soup, Chicken and Avocado Soup, and this Cream of Broccoli Soup.
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
Homemade Chicken Broth
- 3 chicken breast halves
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 to mato, quartered
- 1 cup carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley, I used cilantro
- whole peppercorns
- kosher salt
- Place all ingredients into crock pot and fill with water.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- When it's done, throw out all the vegetables, strain the liquid and remove the chicken for other recipes, like chicken salad, or anything that calls for shredded chicken.
- If you're not using the stock right away you can store it in containers and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for several months.
- When the stock is chilled, the fat will rise to the top and harden and you can easily remove it.
Stove Top Directions:
- Place all ingredients in a large pot, cover and simmer low for several hours.