This Chicken and Avocado Soup with lime, scallions and cilantro is my go-to when I want comfort food with Latin flavors. The perfect chicken avocado flavor combo.
Chicken Avocado Soup
It’s also really easy to make, and comes together in less than 30 minutes! The avocado adds a creaminess and richness to the light broth and is naturally low-carb, keto and Whole30 friendly. If you wish, you can also add tortillas or serve it with rice on the side.
Growing up, my mom made soup practically every night whether it was a first course or the main meal. When she made her Colombian soups, avocados were always on the table to eat with the soup. As a kid, I wasn’t a fan, but as an adult I grew to love them and now I practically eat them every day!
Variations and Tips:
- If you don’t have shredded chicken, you can cook 2 chicken breasts in the broth until tender, about 15-20 minutes, then shred with a fork (don’t overcook).
- If you prefer dark meat, boneless skinless chicken thighs work great here too.
- To make it spicy, add jalapeno or serrano peppers.
- To pack for work, bring the broth in a thermos or jar with the chicken, and bring the avocado separate, covered with plastic to prevent it from browning. When ready to eat, slice the avocado and add to the soup.
Chicken and Avocado Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups scallions, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast, 12 oz
- 8 ounces from 2 small ripe hass avocados, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 lime wedges
- kosher salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- pinch chipotle chile powder, optional
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the oil, 1 cup of scallions and garlic. Sauté about 2 to 3 minutes until soft then add the tomatoes and sauté another minute, until soft.
- Add chicken stock, cumin and chile powder and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered on low for about 15 minutes.
- In four bowls, fill each with 1/2 cup chicken, 1/2 avocado, remainder of the scallions, and cilantro. Ladle 1 cup chicken broth over the chicken and serve with a lime wedge.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- Avocado Obsessed
- Best Chicken Breast Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
- Cinco De Mayo
- Dairy Free
- Dinner Ideas
- Egg Free Recipes
- Freezer Meals
- Gluten Free
- High Protein Recipes
- Keto Recipes
- Kid Friendly
- Latin Recipes
- Low Carb
- One Pot Recipes
- Under 30 Minutes
- Weight Watchers – WW Recipes
- Whole30 Recipes
Recipe originally from 2010. Photo Credit: Plays Well With Butter