This quick and easy Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan is the answer to your weeknight dreams!! And since it’s made in the Instant Pot, it’s ready in minutes!
Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
Don’t get me wrong, my family LOVES my Baked Chicken Parmesan recipe, so I was skeptical. No breading, no frying – sign me up! And since we are cutting down on the carbs this month, this was a no-brainer! Of course, if your family wants their pasta, feel free to serve it on the side (I had mine with zucchini noodles).
This recipe is from Melissa Clark’s new cookbook Comfort in an Instant (affiliate link) which features 75 recipes for the Instant Pot, pressure cooker or multi-cooker.
This recipe happens to be on the cover, and although there were so many I wanted to try, this is the one I was craving. I ever so slightly adapted this using a little less oil, but otherwise made it exactly as written. Melissa recommends broiling the finished dish if you have a few minutes to spare to get the edges golden brown and crisp – totally optional! She also recommends adding chopped olives, anchovies or capers with the sauce for more flavor, if desired.
I have the 6-quart Instant Pot (affiliate link) which is perfect for a family of 4. If you have a larger family I would go for the 8 quart.
Instant Pot Tips
- Lock the steam valve before pressure cooking. Pressure will never build if the valve is turned to venting.
- Don’t fill the pot more than two-thirds full with any liquid or stew. Keep in mind some foods expand, such as rice and oatmeal.
- If your food is undercooked, re-cover the pot, lock the steam valve, re-pressurize, and cook again for a few extra minutes.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
You may also enjoy these Instant Pot Recipes.
Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 thin chicken cutlets, 12 ounces total
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, grated
- Chopped basil, for garnish (optional)
- Using the sauté function (on low, if possible), heat the oil in the pressure cooker pot. Stir in the garlic and cook until just turning golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the marinara sauce, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Increase the sauté heat to medium.
- Season the chicken with the salt, oregano, and pepper to taste. Nestle the cutlets into the sauce, overlapping as little as possible, then spoon the sauce over to cover the chicken.
- Lock the lid into place and cook on low pressure for 3 minutes. Manually release the pressure.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan evenly over the chicken. Cover the pot with the lid (but don’t lock it on) and let it sit for 4 to 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve as is or, for deeper flavors and a little bit of crispiness, broil the cheese until golden and bubbling: Heat the broiler with a rack 4 inches from the heat source. Scoop the chicken and sauce into a greased small rimmed baking sheet, trying to keep the cheese on top. Broil until the cheese has browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with basil, if desired.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.