This easy chicken quesadilla recipe is a complete meal in one! Loaded with chicken, veggies, avocado-mango salsa and cheese, it’s very filling and so delicious!
I made this healthy chicken quesadillas recipe for dinner with my leftover avocado mango salsa and some sauteed onions and peppers. They are very satisfying, with almost 38 grams of protein and 17 grams of fiber. They are also great for lunch or even as appetizers. For more of my quesadilla recipes, try Picadillo Quesadillas, Shrimp Quesadillas, and BBQ Chicken Quesadillas.
Chicken Quesadilla Ingredients
- Chicken: Trim the fat off 16 ounces of skinless chicken breasts.
- Spices: Season the chicken with cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Onion: Slice half of a small onion into strips.
- Bell Pepper: Slice a red or green pepper into strips.
- Garlic: Mince one clove.
- Cheese: You’ll need a part-skim Mexican shredded cheese blend.
- Salsa: I used avocado mango salsa for extra nutrition and flavor.
- Tortillas: Buy low-carb whole-wheat tortillas, like La Tortilla Factory.
How to Make Chicken Quesadillas
- Prep Chicken: Slice the breast in half lengthwise so you have four cutlets. Season the chicken for the quesadillas with salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, and garlic powder.
- Cook the Chicken: Heat a skillet over medium heat, lightly spray with oil, and cook the chicken for a few minutes on each side. You can also grill the chicken on an outdoor grill. Check that the cutlets are done with a meat thermometer. Once it reads 165°F, the chicken is ready. Remove the cutlets from the heat, cut them into strips, and set aside.
- Sauté the Veggies: Pour a teaspoon of oil into the skillet, add the onions and peppers, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for two minutes, add the garlic, and continue cooking until the vegetables are soft. Once ready, transfer to a plate.
- Assemble the Quesadillas: Heat the skillet on medium heat and spray lightly with oil. Place a tortilla in the pan, top with cheese, chicken, onions, peppers, and salsa, and then put another tortilla on top.
- Cook the Quesadillas: Once the cheese melts and the bottom tortilla is golden brown, place a plate on top of the quesadilla and flip the pan over so the quesadilla is on the plate. Slide the other side into the skillet, cook for another minute, and remove with a spatula.
What to Serve with Chicken Quesadillas
How to Store Quesadillas
Leftover chicken quesadillas will keep in the fridge for up to three days, and you can reheat them in a skillet until warm. If you’re cooking for one, you can store all the ingredients separately and make the quesadillas fresh over the next few days before eating.
- Tortillas: Any eight-inch whole wheat or flour tortillas will work if you can’t find low-carb tortillas.
- Chicken: My Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken or Chipotle Chicken would work well in this quesadilla recipe. Or if you prefer ground meat, try my Turkey Picadillo.
- Spices: If you have taco seasoning on hand, use that to season your chicken.
- Vegetarian Quesadilla: Omit the chicken and cook more bell peppers and onions, or add black beans for more protein and fiber.
- Salsa: Swap mango salsa with pico de gallo or any thick jarred salsa.
- Cheese: Substitute shredded cheddar cheese.
More Latin Recipes You’ll Love
- Salsa Verde Chicken
- Arroz con Pollo (Rice and Chicken)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas
- Chicken Chimichangas
Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
- 16 ounces skinless chicken breast, fat trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt , and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 small onion, cut into strips
- 1 bell pepper, red or green cut into strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-1/3 cup part-skim Mexican blend shredded cheese, or dairy free cheese like Violife
- 1 cup avocado mango salsa
- 8 low-carb whole wheat flour tortillas, La Tortilla Factory original size (or gf tortillas like siete)
- Slice chicken breast in half so you have 4 cutlets.
- Season chicken with salt, cumin, garlic powder, oregano and black pepper.
- Lightly spray a skillet on medium heat with oil or if using a grill, grill chicken until cooked on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from heat and cut chicken into strips, set aside.
- To the skillet, add 1 tbsp oil and cook onions and peppers, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook about 2 minutes, add garlic and continue cooking until vegetables are soft being careful not to burn the garlic. When cooked, set aside.
- Heat skillet on medium heat and lightly spray with oil. Add tortilla, top with cheese, chicken, onions, peppers, and pico de gallo or avocado-mango salsa. Top with the other tortilla.
- Cheese should be melted and the bottom of the tortilla should be golden brown. Put a plate on top of the quesadilla to flip it over onto the plate. Then slide the other side onto the skillet.
- Cook another minute and remove with a spatula. Cut into wedges and serve with sour cream if you wish.