This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Korean Beef Rice Bowls takes about 20 minutes to whip up, so quick and easy, loaded with flavor for under 400 calories!
I came up with this Korean beef rice bowl the other night and they tasted so DANG good I knew I had to share. I used to work 2 blocks away from Koreatown when I worked full-time in Manhattan and loved having lunch with co-workers in nearby restaurants. Since then, Korean food is becoming really popular with Korean restaurants popping up everywhere. Unfortunately not as popular here in Long Island (yet) so if I don’t want to travel all the way to Manhattan I cook it myself.
One essential ingredient you will need is Gochujang sauce. It’s a Korean condiment that’s a little spicy and sweet, and has very distinct flavor only found in Korean cuisine. It also comes in a paste which requires you to thin it down. I use Annie Chun’s Gochujang Sauce since it’s available in my local supermarket and it’s ready-to-use, or buy it on Amazon!
And I’m obsessed with frozen brown rice from Trader Joe’s! It takes 3 minutes to heat up and the texture is perfect! If you live near a TJ’s, it’s a must!
Korean Beef Rice Bowls
These Korean Beef Rice Bowls make a quick and easy meal, loaded with flavor for under 400 calories!
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 /4
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce*
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- cooking spray
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 small sliced cucumber, skin on
- 2 tablespoons Gochujang, or more if desired*
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 sliced scallions, white and green parts
- *check labels for gluten-free
- Combine the soy sauce, 2 tablespoons water, brown sugar, sesame oil and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Heat a large deep nonstick skillet over high heat, spray with oil and add the ground beef. Cook, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute.
- Pour the sauce over the beef, cover and simmer on low heat 10 minutes.
- To assemble the bowls, place 3/4 cup rice in each bowl, top with scant 2/3 cup beef, cucumbers, Gochujong, sesame seeds and scallions.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 /4, Calories: 394 kcal, Carbohydrates: 47 g, Protein: 30 g, Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 70 mg, Sodium: 807 mg, Fiber: 4 g, Sugar: 7 g