Updated Waldorf Salad Cups
A lighter take on the classic Waldorf Chicken Salad served in lettuce leaves so you can eat them with your hands instead of a fork!
These chicken salad lettuce wraps are delicious and easy to make, the chicken can easily be made ahead to pack for lunch throughout the week.
The recipe is from Andie Mitchell’s cookbook who’s not only my friend, she’s also one of the nicest and most inspiring people I’ve met (you may remember her memoir, It Was Me All Along about her incredible weight loss story, her struggle with overcoming food addiction and learning how to find self-acceptance). Well, now she came out with her first cookbook, Eating In The Middle where she shares her realistic approach to eating “mostly” healthy meals plus “sometimes” foods because life just needs dessert.
The serving size is extremely generous, and I had friends over for lunch when I made this and everyone enjoyed them. I ever so slightly adapted her original recipe by cutting back on the dressing just a touch. Hope you enjoy!
How To Make Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce wraps make a great low-carb, low calorie swap out for wheat wraps, without interfering with the flavors of the filling. A few tips when making lettuce wraps:
- Look for lettuce leaves that are large enough to hold the filling. I like to use iceberg lettuce for larger cups. Romaine lettuce and baby romaine are also great.
- The leaves of red leaf, butter or boston lettuce are smaller, but also wonderful.
More lettuce wrap recipes:
- Thai Chicken Peanut Lettuce Tacos
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- BLT Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken and Shrimp Larb
- Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
Updated Waldorf Salad Cups
A lighter take on the classic Waldorf Salad served in lettuce leaves so you can eat them with your hands instead of a fork!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped (¼-inch pieces) cooked skinless boneless chicken breast (about 12 ounces)
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced on the bias
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 large pear, halved, cored, and sliced into ¼-inch pieces (I like Bosc or Anjou pears)
- 3 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (¾ cup)
- 8 butter lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken, celery, parsley, cabbage, pear, and Gorgonzola, and toss well to coat all ingredients in the dressing. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To serve, place 2 butter lettuce leaves on each of 4 plates and divide the salad among the lettuce cups.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 2 wraps
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 6
- Points +: 9
- Calories: 341 calories
- Total Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
- Sodium: 471mg
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 11g
- Protein: 27g