Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
Turkey taco lettuce wraps are my go-to recipe when I want to eat something easy, delicious and light, and of course, healthy and low-carb! I forgo the taco shells and use lettuce leaves instead, and don’t even miss them!
They are naturally gluten-free, low-carb, keto, and paleo, whole30 & dairy-free without the cheese or sour cream. I find the outer leaves of Iceberg lettuce makes the best wraps, they are crisp and pliable and the leaves are large enough to make decent size wraps.
Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps Tips
- Look for lettuce leaves that are large and sturdy such as iceberg, baby romaine or butter. You can also double up on the leaves.
- Add your favorite taco fixings such as shredded cheddar, light sour cream, chives, black olives, jalapeno, tomatoes or whatever you like on your tacos.
- The portions are generous, and if you’re kids want shells, you can easily bake a few for them and use the same filling.
- Making your own taco seasoning is a healthier alternative to buying packaged taco seasoning, and uses less sodium, no sugar, no preservatives and no MSG. It also saves you money if you are on a budget. If you prefer to use the package seasoning, simply replace it with the spices listed here.
How To Make Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
More of my favorite lettuce wrap recipes:
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Thai Chicken Peanut Lettuce Tacos
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- BLT Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken and Shrimp Larb
Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
This is my go-to turkey taco recipe. It’s delicious and light – On nights I want to go low-carb, I forgo the taco shells and use lettuce wraps instead!
- 1.3 lbs 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 tbsp bell pepper, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 8 large lettuce leaves from Iceberg lettuce
- (optional) 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar (omit for Whole 30)
- Brown turkey in a large skillet breaking it into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- When no longer pink add dry seasoning and mix well.
- Add the onion, pepper, water and tomato sauce and cover. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Wash and dry the lettuce.
- Divide the meat equally between the 8 leaves and place in the center of each leaf and top with your favorite taco fixings!
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 2 lettuce wraps (cheese and toppings are optional and not included in NI)
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 0
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 255 calories
- Total Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 108mg
- Sodium: 849mg
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 30g