Steak Taco Lettuce Wraps
Grilled sirloin steak “flaco” tacos use lettuce wraps instead of tortillas! The steak is seasoned with cumin and spices, then grilled and sliced thin, along with guacamole and pico de gallo – low-carb and super delicious!
Steak Taco Lettuce Wraps
These lettuce wrap steak tacos were inspired by tacos I recently oredered at a Tex-Mex restaurant in NYC. They were so good, I didn’t miss the tortilla so I set out to recreate them at home. They used iceburg lettuce which they cut on an angle and used several layers which I thought was smart because it was easier to hold and eat. You can of course use any lettuce you like. If you don’t have a grill, you can make the steak on a grill pan or even on a cast iron skillet. So simple and light, you can easily eat more that two if you don’t make a side. I made a Mexican Cauli-rice on the side which was enough to fill me up.
How to Make Steak Taco Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce wraps are low-carb, keto, gluten-free and low calorie, and don’t interfere with the flavors of the filling. A few tips when making lettuce wraps:
- Look for lettuce leaves that are large enough to hold the filling. I like to use iceberg lettuce for larger cups. Romaine lettuce and baby romaine are also great.
- The leaves of butter or boston lettuce are smaller, but also wonderful.
- If you prefer, you can turn this into a big chopped salad by simply serving this over a bowl over chopped lettuce.
Here’s a few more of my favorite lettuce wrap recipes:
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Turkey Santa FE Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Club Lettuce Wrap Sandwich
- BLT Lettuce Wraps
- Tuna Lettuce Wrap with Avocado Dressing
- Chicken and Shrimp Larb
Grilled Steak Lettuce Tacos
For the Guac:
- 4 oz 1 small haas avocado
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
For the Pico De Gallo:
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp minced jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
For the Steak:
- 1 lb thin sirloin steaks
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch fresh ground pepper
- 8 lettuce shells from 1 head
- Combine the salt, cumin, garlic powder, oregano and black pepper. Rub over the steak.
- Mash the avocado in a small bowl with the tomato, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Combine the pico de gallo ingredients; set aside.
- Heat a grill over high heat. Clean grates and spray with oil. Cook the steaks over high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until the steak is cooked to your liking. Set aside on a cutting board to rest 5 minutes before slicing. Slice into thin strips.
- To serve, fill each lettuce cups with 1 1/2 tbsp guacamole and top with steak and pico de gallo.