Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
These quick and easy authentic Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps are so delicious, made with sautéed ground chicken, shiitake mushrooms and water chestnuts seasoned with Asian spices served in a crispy cold lettuce leaf with a spicy hoisin dipping sauce.
This recipe was ever so slightly adapted from my friend Bee, of Rasa Malaysia’s first cookbook, Easy Chinese Recipes: Family Favorites From Dim Sum to Kung Pao. Whether you are celebrating The Chinese New Year, The Superbowl, or just having some friends over, I highly recommend making these… double or triple the recipe for a large crowd!
How To Make Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce wraps are low-carb and low calorie, and don’t interfere with the flavors of the filling. This recipe is no exception, you can taste all the Asian goodness… pure delight in every bite! A few tips when making lettuce wraps:
- Look for lettuce leaves that are large enough to hold the filling. I like to use iceberg lettuce for larger cups. Romaine lettuce and baby romaine are also great.
- The leaves of butter or boston lettuce are smaller, but also wonderful.
- If you prefer, you can turn this into a big chopped salad by simply serving this over a bowl over chopped lettuce.
- If you want to turn this into a main dish, add some steamed rice and serve each wrap with rice and chicken, it’s very good!
More lettuce wrap recipes:
- Thai Chicken Peanut Lettuce Tacos
- Turkey Santa Fe Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken and Shrimp Larb
- Tuna Lettuce Wrap with Avocado Dressing
- Steak Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Club Lettuce Wrap Sandwich
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
These quick and easy authentic Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps are so delicious, made with sautéed ground chicken thighs, shiitake mushrooms and water chestnuts seasoned with Asian spices served in a crispy cold lettuce leaf with a spicy hoisin dipping sauce.
- 8 oz skinless, boneless chicken thighs, ground
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 iceberg lettuce leaves, rinsed (careful not to break)
- 2 tbsp diced scallions
For the Spicy Hoisin Dipping Sauces:
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp chili sauce, I used Sriracha
- 1 tbsp warm water
- Place mushrooms in hot water to soften a few minutes. Remove stems and chop fine.
- Combine soy sauces, oyster sauce, 1/2 tsp sesame oil, rice wine, sugar, and pepper in a bowl.
- Combine ground chicken (I put the chicken in the food processor), softened mushrooms and water chestnuts into a bowl. Pour over chicken; toss. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Mix Spicy Hoisin Dipping Sauce ingredients in another bowl. Set aside.
- Heat remaining sesame oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Add garlic; cook until golden, about 10 seconds. Add chicken mixture; stir fry until browned, breaking the chicken up as it cooks, about 4-5 minutes.
- To serve, spoon 1/4 cup of the chicken into each lettuce leaf. Garnish with scallions and a spoon a little Spicy Hoisin Dipping Sauce onto each one.
Yield: 6 Servings, Serving Size: 1 wrap
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 3
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 102 calories
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Sodium: 344mg
- Carbohydrates: 9.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Protein: 8.5g