Cauliflower “Fried Rice” which replaces rice with cauliflower is my favorite low-carb side dish when I’m craving Chinese take-out!
Cauliflower “Fried Rice”
Don’t get me wrong, I love traditional Fried Rice made with leftover rice, but when I want a lower carb version this Cauliflower Rice is perfect! I posted this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice recipe a while back, and it was a huge hit. So I decided to play around with that recipe and make this Asian version to go with these Shrimp Egg Rolls, and my husband (who detests cauliflower) was pretty amazed how the meal turned out. The portions are generous and you get a serving or two of vegetables into your diet.
I LOVE fried rice, and often make my own fried rice at home with brown rice like this Edamame Fried Rice and this Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice. But sometimes when I want to cut down on my carbs, I swap out the rice for cauliflower to make this low-carb cauliflower fried rice. A keto, gluten-free and whole30 compliant recipe.
How do you make cauliflower into rice?
It’s simple! You cut the cauliflower into florets, then place a few pieces at a time in the food processor and pulse a few times until it resembles rice. You don’t want to put too much in the food processor as it will over-process it. Cauliflower rice is also now available pre-cut and bagged in the produce section as well as frozen, but my preference is to make it myself as it tastes better than frozen, and often the pre-cut fresh variety spoils fast.
More cauliflower rice recipes:
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Cauliflower Rice with Garlic and Lemon (so good!!)
- Skillet Cauliflower Rice “Arroz” Con Pollo
- Skillet Taco Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Rice Balls (Arancini)
Cauliflower "Fried Rice"
- 1 medium head, about 24 oz cauliflower, rinsed
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 large egg
- pinch of salt
- cooking spray
- 1/2 small onion, diced fine
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 scallions, diced, whites and greens separated
- 3 tbsp soy sauce, or more to taste (Tamari for Gluten Free, Coconut Aminos for Paleo/Whole30)
- Remove the core and let the cauliflower dry completely.
- Coarsely chop into florets, then place half of the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice or couscous – don't over process or it will get mushy. Set aside and repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
- Combine egg and egg whites in a small bowl and beat with a fork. Season with salt.
- Heat a large saute pan or wok over medium heat and spray with oil.
- Add the eggs and cook, turning a few times until set; set aside.
- Add the sesame oil and saute onions, scallion whites, peas and carrots and garlic about 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.Raise the heat to medium-high.
- Add the cauliflower "rice" to the saute pan along with soy sauce. Mix, cover and cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside.
- Add the egg then remove from heat and mix in scallion greens.