Cauliflower “Fried Rice”
Cauliflower “Fried Rice” which replaces rice with cauliflower is my favorite low-carb side dish when I’m craving Chinese take-out!
Cauliflower “Fried Rice”
I posted this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower “Rice” recipe a while back, and it was a huge hit. So I decided to play around with that recipe and make this Asian version to go with the Orange Chicken I posted yesterday, and my husband (who detests cauliflower) was pretty amazed how the meal turned out. The portions are generous and you get a serving or two of vegetables into your diet.
I LOVE fried rice, and often make my own fried rice at home with brown rice like this Edamame Fried Rice and this Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice. But sometimes when I want to cut down on my carbs, I swap out the rice for cauliflower to make this low-carb cauliflower fried rice. A keto, gluten-free and whole30 compliant recipe.
How do you make cauliflower into rice?
It’s simple! You cut the cauliflower into florets, then place a few pieces at a time in the food processor and pulse a few times until it resembles rice. You don’t want to put too much in the food processor as it will over-process it. Cauliflower rice is also now available pre-cut and bagged in the produce section as well as frozen, but my preference is to make it myself as it tastes better than frozen, and often the pre-cut fresh variety spoils fast.
More cauliflower rice recipes:
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Cauliflower Rice with Garlic and Lemon (so good!!)
- Skillet Cauliflower Rice “Arroz” Con Pollo
- Skillet Taco Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Rice Balls (Arancini)
Cauliflower "Fried Rice"
Cauliflower “Fried Rice” is my favorite low-carb side dish when I’m craving Chinese take-out!
- 1 medium head (about 24 oz) cauliflower, rinsed
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 large egg
- pinch of salt
- cooking spray
- 1/2 small onion, diced fine
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 scallions, diced, whites and greens separated
- 3 tbsp soy sauce, or more to taste (Tamari for Gluten Free, Coconut Aminos for Paleo/Whole30)
- Remove the core and let the cauliflower dry completely.
- Coarsely chop into florets, then place half of the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice or couscous – don’t over process or it will get mushy. Set aside and repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
- Combine egg and egg whites in a small bowl and beat with a fork. Season with salt.
- Heat a large saute pan or wok over medium heat and spray with oil.
- Add the eggs and cook, turning a few times until set; set aside.
- Add the sesame oil and saute onions, scallion whites, peas and carrots and garlic about 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.Raise the heat to medium-high.
- Add the cauliflower “rice” to the saute pan along with soy sauce. Mix, cover and cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside.
- Add the egg then remove from heat and mix in scallion greens.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1 1/3 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 1
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 108 calories
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Sodium: 868mg
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 9g