Mexican Cauliflower “Rice”
This Mexican inspired dish of Cauliflower “Rice” uses finely chopped cauliflower, which makes a fantastic low-carb, grain-free stand in for rice. You can season it many different ways, here I sauteed sauteed it with tomatoes, onions, jalapeno and spices which I served with yesterday’s Grilled Steak Lettuce Tacos.
I’m so happy to see chopped cauliflower sold in stores. Trader Joe’s is always sold out when I try to buy it so I was happy to see Mann’s now sells it in my local supermarket which saves so much time making this! You can of course also do this yourself in a food processor, to do this remove the core of the cauliflower and coarsely chop into florets, then place in a food processor (in batches) and pulse until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice – don’t over process or it will get mushy.
For more Cauliflower Rice Recipes, some favorites are my Cilantro Lime Cauliflower “Rice”, and my very popular Cauliflower Fried “Rice”. I’ve also tried a roasted cauliflower rice which I’m now obsessed with!
Mexican Cauliflower "Rice"
This Mexican inspired dish of Cauliflower “Rice” uses finely chopped cauliflower, which makes a fantastic low-carb, grain-free stand in for rice.
- 4 cups cauliflower crumbles (the sell this in stop and shop now)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, small dice
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and membrane removed, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions, tomatoes and jalapeno and sauté until just tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cauliflower, sauté until the cauliflower is just tender, 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir to evenly coat the vegetables and cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Add chopped cilantro and serve.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1 scant cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 1
- Points +: 2
- Calories: 58 calories
- Total Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 379mg
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 3g