Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice made healthier using leftover cooked brown rice, a delicious whole grain that’s high in fiber, so it fills you up.
Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice
Fried rice is definitely on my favorite foods list, I absolutely love it! Sure, sometimes I go low-carb with Cauliflower Fried Rice, which is fine but when I go all out, I much prefer making it with leftover brown rice (see How To Cook Perfect Brown Rice). This spicy shrimp version makes the perfect main dish dinner, in under 20 minutes. Perfect for weeknight cooking.
Fried rice is the ultimate leftover food because it requires using leftover rice. Otherwise it won’t be dry enough to fry and come out a but mushy. Therefore, this weeknight dish comes together really fast. Almost any protein and veggie can be tossed into this. Swap out shrimp for chicken or tofu and feel free to toss in whatever veggies are in your fridge like shredded carrots, mushrooms, corn, edamame, all work great.
This healthy shrimp fried rice def has some kick to it, and if you really like it hot feel free to add hot sauce to serve later!
Tips on How to Make Shrimp Fried Rice:
- As mentioned, start with leftover rice. I prefer brown but white works just fine. The drier the rice, the better it is for frying. You can even use riced cauliflower.
- Cook on high heat. It’s important to make sure the pan is hot when frying the veggies, protein and rice. Works best with a wok but a large pan will work as well.
- For extra crunchiness, once cooked, you can let stand in pan for an extra 30 seconds or so until desired cook.
More Shrimp Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad
- Mexican Shrimp Diablo
- Honey Garlic Shrimp
- Shrimp Scampi
Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice
- 3 cups leftover brown rice cooked
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 tsp each of chili powder, paprika and garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1 large whole egg, beaten
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 5 medium scallions, chopped, whites and greens separated
- oil spray
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 4 tsp soy sauce, or more to taste
- 1 tsp Asian fish sauce, (or more soy sauce)
- In a bowl, season shrimp with cayenne pepper, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a hot wok, over medium high heat, spray a little oil and cook the eggs, when cooked, remove from pan and set aside, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high, when hot add the sesame oil and saute onions, scallion whites, garlic and hot pepper flakes for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and saute until no longer translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice and leave in the skillet to let the bottom brown, 2 to 3 minutes, stir and add the egg, soy sauce and fish sauce, mixing well for about 2 minutes.
- Add greens of the scallions and serve.