How to Cook Perfect Brown Rice Every Time
Want to know how to cook perfect brown rice every time? This foolproof method will give you perfect rice that is never sticky.
How to Cook Perfect Brown Rice
Brown rice is extremely nutritious with higher fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals compared to white rice. There are endless dishes you can make with brown rice, some of my favorites are Edamame Fried Rice, Mexican Style Brown Rice with fresh veggies, Pineapple and Shrimp Fried Rice, or along side any choice of protein.
I can make white rice in my sleep, rice was a staple in my home growing up and a task my mom taught me at an early age. So naturally you would think making brown rice would come easy to me. Nope!
I never liked making brown rice because it was always hit or miss, until I found this easy brown rice cooking method on Saveur. Now I can make perfect brown rice every time and because I make large batches, it’s great to keep on hand to use throughout week to create easy sides or new dishes.
I’ve played around with the original recipe quite a bit and found the perfect ratio of rice to water. If you are making 2 or 3 cups of rice, double or triple the recipe.
How To Make Perfect Brown Rice
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Rinse brown rice and add to the pot of boiling water.
- Boil the rice, partially covered 30 minutes.
- Drain the rice, shut the stove off and return the rice to the pot.
- Cover the pot tight to let the steam continue cooking it for 20 minutes then fluff with a fork.
How To Freeze Brown Rice
You can use frozen rice straight from the freezer to the microwave or stove top— no need to thaw in the refrigerator first.
- Step 1: Cook Rice. Cook the rice following the method below.
- Step 2: Let it cool. Once the rice is cooked, spread in an even layer over a sheet pan and cool for about 10 minutes, until it’s room temperature.
- Step 3: Portion. Measure the rice and separate by portions, then transfer to freezer safe containers or ziplock bags squeezing out as much air as possible.
- Step 4: Label and freeze. Label the name, date and amount of rice in each bag.
- Step 5: Freeze. You can freeze the rice for up to 3 months.
- Step 6: Reheat. To reheat you can microwave from frozen covered for 3 minutes, or add to the stove if you’re making stir fries, soups, etc.
Recipes Using Cooked Brown Rice
- Chicken Sausage Brown Rice Stuffing
- Dirty Brown Rice
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Shrimp Peas and Rice
- Brown Fried Rice
How To Cook Perfect Brown Rice
- 1 cup natural brown rice, I used long grain
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Rinse the rice with cold water for 30 seconds.
- Bring the water and salt to a boil over high heat in a large heavy pot with a tight fitting lid.
- When the water is boiling add the rice, stir and partially cover (don't cover complete or it will spill over) and cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
- Shut the heat off. Drain the rice in strainer, then quickly return to the pot and cover tightly for 20 minutes so the steam finishes cooking the rice.
- Uncover the rice and fluff with a fork.