How to Make Perfect Brown Rice Every Time
How to make perfect brown rice every time? Here is a foolproof method for making perfect brown rice that is never sticky.
Brown rice is extremely nutritious with higher fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals compared to white rice. There are endless dishes you can make with brown rice, some of my favorites are Edamame Fried Rice, Mexican Style Brown Rice with fresh veggies, Pineapple and Shrimp Fried Rice, or along side any choice of protein.
I can make white rice in my sleep, rice was a staple in my home growing up and a task my mom taught me at an early age. So naturally you would think making brown rice would come easy to me. Nope!
I never liked making brown rice because it was hit or miss… until I found this recipe on Saveur. Now I can make perfect brown rice every time and because I make large batches, I use it during the week to create easy sides.
I’ve played around with the original recipe quite a bit and found the perfect ratio of rice to water. If you are making 2 or 3 cups of rice, double or triple the recipe.
A few more ways to make brown rice fabulous…
What’s your favorite way to enjoy brown rice?
Perfect Brown Rice Every Time
- 1 cup natural brown rice, I used long grain
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Rinse the rice with cold water for 30 seconds.
- Bring the water and salt to a boil over high heat in a large heavy pot with a tight fitting lid.
- When the water is boiling add the rice, stir and partially cover (don't cover complete or it will spill over) and cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
- Drain the rice in strainer, then quickly return to the pot and cover tightly for 20 minutes so the steam finishes cooking the rice.
- Uncover the rice and fluff with a fork.