Not only is this a quick, affordable, healthy way to start the morning (takes less than 10 minutes), it’s also fun dunking your toast strips and asparagus into the yolk.
Eggs yolks used to get a bad rap, but according to the USDA, egg yolks are considered a healthy option because they are high in protein, vitamins and minerals. The nutrients in eggs can play a positive role in muscle strength, brain function, eye health and more.
As a child, I remember having soft boiled eggs for breakfast. My mom would serve it in a cute little egg holders and a mini spoons which is probably what started my obsession with egg holders. Don’t you just love them!
Eggs and Soldiers with Asparagus
- 4 large brown eggs
- 4 slices whole wheat toast
- 20 thin spears of asparagus
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat, when boiling add the eggs, cover and set the timer for 6 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, make the toast.
- Slice each piece into 4 or 5 strips.
- When 2 minutes of cooking time remain for the eggs drop the asparagus into the pot of simmering water to cook.
- When the timer goes off, drain the eggs and asparagus and run the eggs under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Remove the tops of the eggs and serve with salt and fresh cracked pepper, toast and asparagus for dipping into the yolk.