I’m obsessed with these easy, Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas made casserole-style, with black beans, tortillas, my homemade enchilada sauce, and cheese.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Chicken enchiladas are one of my favorite things to make and eat, so naturally, this slow-cooker version hit it out of the park! I adapted it from this chicken enchilada skillet recipe, using boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but you can also use chicken breast. I served it over cilantro lime rice and topped it with avocado and some crema. It was a hit with my family and so easy to make. Here’s more slow cooker chicken recipes!
Why This Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas Works
- Perfect for Meal Prep: Make this chicken enchilada casserole earlier in the day whenever you have some time, and it’ll be ready and waiting come dinnertime.
- Healthy: This dish has 25.5 grams of protein, thanks to the chicken, beans, cheese, and sour cream.
- Fast and Easy: After you sauté the onion and garlic, just put everything in the slow cooker and turn it on. Like I said–quick and easy!
- Comforting: I crave warm, comforting meals as the weather cools off. This cheesy enchilada casserole checks the box!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Ingredients
- Chicken: Use one pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts.
- Onion and Garlic: Chop half of a medium onion and two garlic cloves.
- Seasoning: Ground cumin, kosher salt
- Enchilada Sauce: I prefer making homemade enchilada sauce, but you can also buy it at the supermarket.
- Sour Cream: All you need is a quarter cup of sour cream for a little creaminess.
- Corn Tortillas: Cut four tortillas into strips.
- Black Beans: Rinse and drain one can of low-sodium black beans.
- Cheese: Buy a Mexican cheese blend, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella.
- Garnishes: Sliced jalapeños and chopped fresh cilantro
- Optional Toppings: Sliced avocado, cilantro lime rice, sour cream or crema (Crema generally contains sour cream, lime juice, and salt. I have recipes for roasted poblano crema and avocado crema if you want to try one.)
How to Make Chicken Enchiladas in Slow Cooker
- Onion and Garlic: I always saute onions and garlic before adding to the slow cooker for the best results. Start by heating the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, and salt, and sauté while stirring until the onion has softened and browned.
- Put Ingredients in Slow Cooker: Transfer the cooked onions and garlic to the slow cooker and pour in the enchilada sauce, sour cream, and a quarter cup of water. Stir everything to combine and fold in the beans until thoroughly coated. Nestle the chicken into the sauce.
- Slow Cook: Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours, until the chicken is tender and shreds easily. Shred the chicken right in the pot with two forks.
- Tortillas and Cheese: Stir in the tortilla strips and top with cheese. Cover the slow cooker and cook for about 30 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- How to Serve: Spoon a cup of the enchilada casserole into your bowl and garnish with cilantro and jalapeños. You can also serve it over rice with sliced avocado and more sour cream or crema.
- Sauce: Use salsa verde instead of enchilada sauce, or buy jarred enchilada sauce to save time.
- Poultry: Swap thighs for boneless chicken breasts or turkey breasts for a leaner option.
- Beef Enchilada Casserole: Substitute chuck beef for chicken.
- Beans: Replace black beans with pinto beans.
- Don’t like beans? Use canned corn.
- Tortillas: Switch out corn tortillas with flour if you prefer.
- Time Saver: If you want to serve this chicken enchilada casserole with rice but don’t have time to make it, microwave frozen white or brown rice.
What to Serve with this Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This easy enchilada casserole makes great leftovers, which will keep refrigerated for 4 days in an airtight container. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months and reheat it in the microwave.
More Enchilada Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Enchilada Recipe
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Vegetarian Enchiladas with Butternut and Black Beans
- Enchiladas Verdes
- Vegetable Enchilada Pie
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs , or chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil , or olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups homemade enchilada sauce, or 16 ounce jarred
- 1/4 cup sour cream, plus more for serving
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 15 ounce can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces shredded cheese, such as a Mexican cheese blend, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella (about 1 cup)
- sliced jalapeño peppers , and chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
optional for topping and serving:
- sliced avocado
- crema or sour cream
- cilantro lime rice
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, and salt and cook, stirring, until the onion has softened and browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and add the enchilada sauce, sour cream, and 1/4 cup water to the onion mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the beans until thoroughly coated.
- Nestle the chicken in.
- Cover and cook on high for about 3 to 4 hours or on low for about 6 to 7, until chicken is tender and cooked through. Shred the chicken in the pot with 2 forks.
- Add the tortilla strips and stir, then top with the cheese, cover the slow cooker, and cook 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Once the cheese is melted, garnish with cilantro, jalapenos, and optional toppings.
- Serve over rice if desired and top with optional sour cream, and avocado.