These enchiladas are so GOOD! Traditional Mexican enchiladas made with white corn tortillas, chicken breasts and queso fresco. Hands down one of my favorite enchilada recipes ever.
Easy Enchiladas Verdes
Traditional Mexican green chicken enchiladas, made lighter than the typical restaurant dish served throughout the US. These are made with white corn tortillas, poached chicken breasts and a light coating of queso fresco, this dish is satisfying but won’t weigh you down – SO good!!
If you have known me for a while, you probably know that chicken enchiladas are one of my favorite dishes! I’ve been making my chicken enchiladas in red sauce for years in my home, it’s one of my most popular Skinnytaste recipes. SO when my friend Liz from the Lemon Bowl told me she came out with her 2nd edition of her ebook Food From Our Ancestors series: The Ultimate Mexican Sunday Dinner I knew exactly what I was going to make. The ebook features fifteen authentic recipes including ceviche, posole rojo and traditional steak tacos, to name a few.
The original recipe calls for frying the tortillas before dipping them in the salsa. This is done to prevent the tortillas from cracking. To skip the frying, I microwaved the tortillas a few at a time before dipping them in the salsa, this really helped keep them from cracking without the need to fry.
More Enchilada Recipes
- Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas with Creamy Salsa Verde Sauce
- Enchilada Chicken Roll Ups
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Turkey Enchilada Stuffed Turkey Rellenos
- Chicken Enchiladas with Red Sauce
Enchiladas Verdes (Green Enchiladas)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the chicken breasts in a stock pot along with 1⁄2 an onion and salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the water and let cool slightly. Shred chicken with two forks and set aside.
- Mince the remaining onion and add to the shredded chicken.
- In batches place 6 tortillas on a microwave safe dish and microwave 40 to 50 seconds to make them pliable so they don't crack. Keep them covered with a dish cloth to stay warm, then working one by one dip each warm tortilla in green salsa. Scoop two rounded tablespoons into each tortilla and roll tightly and place in a large casserole dish, seam side down, in a single layer. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and chicken.
- Drench entire pan with 1 cup sauce and sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco.
- Bake, covered in oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve with sour cream or additional queso fresco, if desired.