Salsa Verde is a fresh, healthy salsa made with roasted tomatillos, peppers, garlic, onion and cilantro. Perfect for dipping your tortilla chips into or used in recipes that call for jarred Salsa Verde.
Yes, it’s easier to buy it jarred, but trust me, it tastes SO much better made from scratch and it takes under 30 minutes.
I’ve been making this salsa verde recipe from BHG for the past few years, it has been my go-to since first trying it. Roasting intensifies the flavor of the tomatillos and peppers, which adds another dimension of flavor to the salsa and I love that no oil is added. This recipe can be doubled or tripled as needed, try it over Salsa Verde Burgers, Enchiladas Verdes, Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken, or just grab some chips!
A fresh, healthy salsa made with roasted tomatillos, peppers, garlic, onion and cilantro. Perfect for dipping your tortilla chips into or used in recipes that call for jarred Salsa Verde.
- 3/4 lb tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 poblano chilli
- 1 serrano chili (or jalapeno for milder)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the broiler. Rinse and dry the tomatillos. Line a broiler pan with foil and arrange the tomatillos on the foil along with the poblano and serrano chill peppers. Broil until they are charred on top, about 3 minutes. Use tongs to turn and broil the other sides until charred, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Wrap the tomatillos and chillies in foil and let them rest for 10 minutes. Unwrap the tomatillos and chillies and peel the skin off the poblano chilli and remove the seeds. The tomatillos and serrano chilli don’t need to be peeled or seeded.
- Place the tomatillos and chillies into the bowl of a food processor. Add the garlic, sugar and salt. Pulse the mixture until the ingredients are coarsely chopped.
- Add 5 to 6 tablespoons of water, the onion, and cilantro. Pulse quickly until a coarse puree forms then transfer the salsa to a serving dish. Makes about 1 3/4 cup.
Yield: 7 servings, Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 0
- Points +: 1
- Calories: 20 calories
- Total Fat: 0.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 161mg
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Protein: 0.5g