Salsa Picante Roja (Spicy Red)
There are so many varieties of Mexican salsas with different levels of heat, some chunky, some smooth, some raw and others cooked. This one is smooth and cooked, perfect for topping a burrito bowl or simply enjoying with some tortilla chips. I love the smoky flavor of roasting jalapeños, which I did right over my stove. I let it sit for a few minutes over a medium flame, turning a few times. When the skin started to char I removed it from the flame and peeled off some of the charred parts. You can do this on the grill as well.
If you want a milder sauce remove the seeds before putting it in the blender. This is so easy to make, put all the ingredients in the blender, then simmer for 25 minutes. That’s it!!
More Salsa Recipe Ideas:
Salsa Picante Roja
This spicy red salsa is made with fresh tomatoes, roasted jalapeño, garlic and cilantro, pureed in a blender then simmered until the tomatoes deepen in color. Serve with your favorite baked chips and Sinless Margaritas!
- 3 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 jalapeño, stem removed and roasted
- 3-4 small cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- In a blender, add tomatoes, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro and water and pulse a few times until completely smooth.
- Add oil to a deep skillet, then pour in tomatoes.
- Season with salt and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Depending on the size of your tomatoes, makes about 1 1/2 cups. You can refrigerate a few days or freeze the rest.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 0
- Points +: 1
- Calories: 22.5 calories
- Total Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 6mg
- Carbohydrates: 3.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Protein: 0.5g