This delicious Mexican Shrimp dish is made with saucy Chipotle shrimp served over a bed of corn, zucchini, and red onions, and served with a side of avocado.
Also known as Camarones a la Diabla, this whole shrimp dish takes less than 30 minutes made all in one skillet! More Mexican shrimp recipes you may like, Mexican Shrimp Cobb Salad and Shrimp Fajita Bowls.
Hi there, I’m Heather K. Jones—I’m a dietitian, the nutrition expert for the Skinnytaste cookbooks, and the founder of the weight and wellness program, Feel Better Eat Better.
I’m excited to share another recipe with you today, and to invite you to my free Emotional Eating Masterclass. You’ll find out exactly WHY you have struggled for so long, and exactly HOW you can transform your relationship with food and your body, even if you’ve tried everything. You can sign up for the free masterclass by clicking RIGHT HERE. I love sharing what has helped me and my clients build healthier and happier lives!
This Mexican dish was inspired by my recent trip to Phoenix, Arizona. I did a search online for restaurants close to my hotel, and found Chico Malo for (per the website) “Unapologetically Bold, Flavorful and Inventive Mexican Fare.” I ordered the Shrimp Diablo and, wow, it did not disappoint!
The shrimp cook in a Mexican sauce made with tomatoes, cilantro, chipotle in adobo, and brown sugar (the sauce has a little heat from the chipotle, but it’s not spicy), and then served over a bed of sautéed corn, zucchini and red onions. It’s finish this with a squeeze of lime and serve it with a side of avocado. This dish is fancy enough for guests, but easy enough for a mid-week dinner. Enjoy!
More Shrimp Recipes You May Like:
Mexican Shrimp Diablo
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped chipotle in adobo
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups corn kernels (from 2 medium ears of corn)
- 2 medium (8-ounce) zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion, halved and cut into wedges
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice from ½ lime
- 1 pound large peeled and deveined shrimp
- 4 ounces avocado (from 1 small Hass), sliced
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, sauté the yellow onion for 3-4 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté 30 seconds more.
- Transfer to a blender with the tomatoes, cilantro, chipotle in adobo, brown sugar and ½ a teaspoon salt.
- In the skillet, add the butter and allow to melt. Add the corn, zucchini, red onion, garlic powder, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper. Sauté until softened and browned on the edges, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and squeeze lime juice over the top.
- Transfer the sauce from the blender to the skillet and add the shrimp. Coat the shrimp with the sauce and allow them to cook in the sauce until cooked through and sauce has thickened a bit, about 5 minutes.
- To serve: Pour the shrimp and sauce over the top of the veggies and garnish avocado and cilantro.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo credit: Jesse Larson