Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice
A fried rice dish made with brown rice, shrimp and pineapple. A wonderful combination of savory, sweet and spicy.
Penang in Soho used to be one of my favorite places to eat, when they closed down I was so upset. They had the best roti canai appetizer and a pineapple fried rice which they served in a hollowed out pineapple. That was the inspiration for this dish. If you rather not go through the extra work of hollowing out a pineapple, you could simply serve this in a dish. I had my friends over for dinner and they were really impressed with this flavors and presentation of this dish. My husband however thought the serving sizes should be larger, so if you’re feeding hungry men, you may want to make extra. The ladies were perfectly happy with this, and it left room for dessert!
Pineapple Shrimp Brown Fried Rice
- 1 1/2 cups (uncooked) brown rice
- 1 tsp oil
- 1.25 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined, (1lb after peeled) chopped into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into small chunks
- 5 large scallions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh chili pepper or jalepeno, chopped
- 2 tsp soy sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- cilantro for garnish
- Cook brown rice according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- Cut a pineapple in half and hollow out both halves to make two bowls.
- Cut a piece off the bottom of the pineapple halves to create a flat base.
- Cut the pineapple into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick wok on high heat; when hot add oil.
- Add shrimp and cook a few minutes until almost cooked though.
- Set shrimp aside.
- Add the scallions, chili and garlic to the wok.
- Saute about a minute, then add the rice and pineapple and stir a few times.
- Add soy sauce and fish sauce, stir to mix all the ingredients and cook another 30 seconds.
- Place in hollowed out pineapple cut in half lengthwise.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Yield: 4 servings , Serving Size: 1/4
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 8
- Points +: 9
- Calories: 365.9 calories
- Total Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 624.7mg
- Carbohydrates: 58.7g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Sugar: 6.9g
- Protein: 23.9g