Easy Shrimp Egg Rolls inspired by my favorite Chinese take-out only healthier, loaded with shrimp in every bite. Air fryer or baked!
Shrimp Egg Rolls
I love cooking egg rolls in the air fryer because skipping the frying means they are healthier and lighter (see all my air fryer recipes here). If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also bake them. They’re so easy to make and taste so good! Serve them with a dipping sauce, like sweet chili sauce, duck sauce, or spicy mustard if you wish. If you want to do a homemade takeout “fakeout” night, these egg rolls would be delicious with fried rice, General Tso’s chicken, or orange chicken.
I have many creative egg roll recipes like these Pastrami Reuben Egg Rolls and Breakfast Egg Rolls on my blog, but this shrimp egg roll recipe is great if you’re looking for more of a Chinese-style egg roll.
How To Make Shrimp Egg Rolls
The ingredients for these egg rolls are below. One tip I have is to prep all of the ingredients before you start so that everything’s ready to go when you need it.
- Veggies: Green cabbage, carrots
- Flavor: Ginger, garlic, scallions
- Sauce: Rice vinegar, soy sauce
- Shrimp: You can use fresh or frozen shrimp in these egg rolls. If you use frozen, make sure to thaw it ahead of time.
- Wrappers: Egg roll wrappers are sold in most supermarkets in the produce section near the tofu.
How do you make shrimp egg rolls in an air fryer?
Once the egg rolls are rolled, they take only about five minutes to cook in the air fryer. Just spray all sides of the rolls with oil and cook in batches at 370 degrees Fahrenheit. Turn them over halfway through and cook until golden brown.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also bake the egg rolls in a 425-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
More Chinese-Style Recipes You’ll Love:
- Broccoli Beef
- Kung Pao Tofu
- Easy Wonton Soup
- Asian Edamame Fried Rice
- Stir Fried Pork and Mix Veggies
Shrimp Egg Rolls
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large scallions, chopped
- 3 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 pound large peeled raw shrimp, chopped
- 6 egg roll wrappers
- Olive oil spray
- Sweet chili sauce, duck sauce or spicy mustard, for dipping (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and sauté, until shrimp is almost cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic and scallions. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add cabbage and carrots, soy sauce and vinegar.
- Cook on high heat until vegetables are tender crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain and let cool.
- One at a time, place egg roll wrapper on a clean surface, points facing top and bottom like a diamond. Spoon a 1/3 cup mixture onto the bottom third of the wrapper.
- Dip your finger in a small bowl of water and run it along the edges of the wrapper. Lift the point nearest you and wrap it around the filling.
- Fold the left and right corners in toward the center and continue to roll into a tight cylinder. Set aside and repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Spray all sides of the egg rolls with oil using your fingers to evenly coat.
- In batches, cook 370F for 5 to 7 minutes, turning halfway through until golden brown.
- Serve immediately, with dipping sauce on the side, if desired.
To make this in the oven
- Preheat oven to 425F, then stuff and bake until golden on both sides, 15 to 20 minutes.