I’m always craving chickpeas, it’s my favorite legume and I just can’t get enough which is why I love this fresh and easy salad! They are perfect pantry staples that add protein and fiber to any salad. The best part about this salad, it takes just a few minutes to make since we’re using canned chickpeas, there’s no cooking involved. Some other chickpea salad recipes on rotation in my house, this Greek Chickpea Salad which is great for meal prep, this easy Chickpea Egg Salad and this Chickpea Tuna Salad.
With summer cucumbers and tomatoes in season, I make this vegan salad all the time. It’s a great meatless main salad or side dish to bring to a BBQ, picnic or backyard gathering, simply double or triple the recipe. You can even serve this over lettuce. It’s vegetarian, low-fat and naturally gluten-free.
Ingredients in Chickpea Salad
- Garbanzo Beans: canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Vegetables: diced English cucumbers, tomato and red onion
- Dressing: fresh lemon juice, parsley, extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper
How To Make Chickpea Salad
In a large bowl combine the chickpeas with the tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper. You can refrigerate up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- Tomatoes: You can modify this recipe with grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, or use a combination.
- Greek Inspo: Adding bell peppers, Kalamata olives and feta cheese will give this salad a Greek inspired twist.
- Healthy Fats: Add diced avocado for some healthy fats and creaminess. If making this for a party, add it just before serving.
- Don’t like chickpeas? Swap them out for white canned beans.
- Swap out lemon for any acid like fresh lime juice or red wine vinegar.
- You can add more flavor or make it your own with fresh garlic, fresh herbs, chopped celery, red bell pepper, Dijon mustard, mint, fresh dill, etc
Can I eat chickpeas from the can?
Canned chickpeas are already cooked and ready to serve. This makes them so convenient to keep on hand when you need to add a quick protein to salads.
Are chickpeas good for weight loss?
Chickpeas are great for weight loss when combined with a healthy diet and exercise. They are a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fiber, and are high in protein and make an excellent replacement for meat in vegetarian and vegan diets. I try to get at least 25 grams of fiber a day, so this salad is a great recipe to meal and keep in the fridge for the week.
More Bean Salad Recipes You Will Love
- Avocado Corn Salad
- Chickpea Salad
- Black Bean Salad with Avocado and Cucumbers
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- Black Eye Pea Salad
Chickpea Salad Recipe
- Combine all the ingredients together and toss well.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo credit: Jesse Larson