Chickpea Tuna Salad with capers is perfect for lunch! Chickpeas add healthy carbs and fiber to this simple canned tuna salad that is made with no mayo.
Chickpea Tuna Salad
If you hate mayo but want to eat more tuna, you will love this recipe. I’ve had this chickpea tuna salad on my mind and realized I had all the ingredients on hand to whip this up, and I loved it! This would make a great meal prep lunch, you can double the recipe, the flavors only get better then next day. Lettuce is totally optional, there’s no oil, no mayo, instead I drizzled some of the brine from the capers (the liquid) along with red wine vinegar and loved how it turned out. More tuna recipes you might enjoy are Tuna Melts, Tuna Salad Wraps and Canned Tuna Ceviche.
Why This Works
- Quick and easy for meal prep! It tastes even better the next day.
- Budget friendly and made with pantry staples.
- Healthy and filling, this mayo-less Tuna Salad is loaded with protein and Omega 3s.
- Made with just 6 ingredients.
- Serve this over your favorite salad greens like kale, shredded cabbage or baby greens.
- Add more veggies like chopped carrots, broccoli or sprouts.
What to look for when buying Canned Tuna
When buying canned tuna, I prefer pole caught, wild albacore. American Tuna (affil link) is a brand I like, caught in the USA, certified sustainable, turtle safe, dolphin safe, low mercury, bpa free, etc. It costs a little more than other brands but for me, it’s worth it.
You can refrigerate this tuna salad for up to 4 days in an airtight container. If packing this for lunch, leave the lettuce separate until ready to eat.
More Tuna Salad Recipes:
- Mayo-less Tuna Macaroni Salad
- Italian Tuna and Brown Rice Salad (Riso e Tonno)
- Tuna Deviled Eggs
- Sesame Crusted Tuna Steak on Arugula
- Canned Tuna Ceviche
- Tuna Lettuce Wrap with Avocado Dressing
Chickpea Tuna Salad
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounce can wild albacore tuna, drained (I like American Tuna)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons capers, plus 2 tablespoons of the brine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- chopped lettuce, optional
- Combine all the ingredients, adjust the vinegar and brine to your taste.