Canned Tuna Ceviche
Canned Tuna Ceviche –Transform ordinary canned tuna into a zesty, flavorful lunch by adding fresh lime juice, cilantro, jalapeño, tomato and avocado – so good!
A high school friend (hi Cynthia!) actually gave me this idea. She had it while vacationing in Guatemala and shared the idea with me when she returned. When I read the email, I thought it was brilliant! It’s basically a poor man’s ceviche.
Now don’t get me wrong, I LOVE a good fresh ceviche made raw fish or seafood. It’s actually one of my favorite things to eat. I actually shared a recipe here of Ceviche in Cucumber Cups or this ceviche-like Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad. But when you need a quick lunch using pantry ingredients, this is great and it’s inexpensive, Whole3o, low-carb, paleo-friendly, dairy-free and gluten-free!
For presentation, I put the ceviche tuna into the can to use as a ring mold, then inverted it onto my plate; completely optional of course! Topped with fresh avocado, this was filling and delicious.
Canned Tuna Ceviche
Transform ordinary canned tuna into a zesty, flavorful lunch with a Latin flair by adding fresh lime juice, cilantro, jalapeño, tomato and avocado in this easy tuna ceviche – so good!
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 1 to 1 1/2 limes
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 (7 oz) can chunk white albacore tuna packed in water (5.1 oz drained)
- 1 medium seeded plum tomato, finely diced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, minced (keep seeds for spicy) or you can use pickled
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 2 oz sliced avocado (1/2 medium haas)
- In a medium bowl, combine the red onion, pinch of kosher salt, juice of 1 lime and olive oil.
- Mix in the chopped cilantro, jalapeño, drained tuna, tomato, and Tabasco, if using.
- Taste for salt and lime juice, adjust as needed (I used 1 1/2 limes).
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 20 minutes to let the flavors blend.
- To serve, top with fresh sliced avocado and serve.
Yield: 2 servings, Serving Size: 3/4 cup tuna, 1 oz avocado
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 3
- Points +: 4
- Calories: 153 calories
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Sodium: 187mg
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 15g