Ring in the New Year with this quick and easy black-eyed pea dip!
For those of you who believe eating black eyed peas in the New Year will bring you luck (and we can certainly all use a little more luck) this healthy bean salad is for you! Whether you eat this as a salad or serve it as a dip with some baked chips, the zesty flavors in this salad is sure to turn you into a fan of black-eyed peas.
I tested this out on my friends this weekend and it got a thumbs up from everyone. The earthy taste of the beans are balanced with sweet corn, avocado, lime juice, garlic and cilantro to brighten them up. Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!
Black-eyed Pea Dip
- 15 oz canned no salt black eye peas , Eden
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice, from about 1 1/2 limes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup cooked corn, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup minced red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- Rinse and drain the black eyed peas in a colander.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic, lime juice, oil, cumin, crushed red pepper, and salt and mix well.
- Add the black-eyed peas, corn, tomato, red onion, jalapeno if using and cilantro; mix well and refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- When ready to eat, gently mix in the avocado and serve right away.