Chicken Waldorf Salad is a classic salad made with apples, grapes, pecans and celery in a light, creamy dressing. It’s the perfect combination of sweet, savory and nutty with complimentary creamy and crunchy textures.
Chicken Waldorf Salad
For a quick lunch, I like to serve over a bed of greens such as baby arugula and baby spinach, or a chicken salad lettuce wrap, or with a whole grain roll or wrap. Other salads I like to whip up are Creamy Shrimp and Cucumber Salad and Tuna Salad Wraps.
Originating from the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City in 1893, this salad is filled with lean protein, fruit and heart-healthy nuts, lightened up using a mayo and Greek yogurt creamy dressing. This is a Fall favorite, especially when apples and walnuts are in season. It’s also the perfect fruit salad any time you have leftover chicken or even turkey like the day after Thanksgiving.
Waldorf Salad Ingredients
- Grapes (seedless)
- Walnuts or pecans
- Chicken (poached) or
- Leafy greens like arugula and baby spinach or romaine lettuce
- Salt and pepper
How To Make Waldorf Chicken Salad
More Chicken Salad Recipes You Make Like:
- Cilantro Chicken Salad
- Chicken Salad with Lemon and Dill
- Lighter Classic Chicken Salad
- Houston’s Grilled Chicken Salad
- BBQ Chicken Salad
Chicken Waldorf Salad
- 7 oz 1 breast poached chicken breast (recipe follows)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium apple peeled and cut into small cubes (I used Granny Smith)
- 1 cup red seedless grapes cut in half
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup light Hellman's mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp 0% Greek yogurt I like Stonyfield
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp pecans or walnuts
- 6 cups mixed baby greens like spinach and arugula
- To poach chicken breast: Cover chicken breast in broth in a small pot, add water if it doesn't cover the chicken.
- Add salt and pepper, a piece of celery and it's leaves (you could add herbs like parsley, garlic, onion, or whatever you want) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover tight and let it sit for 15-20 minutes or until thickest part of the breast registers 160 degrees. Chicken will be cooked through.
- Drain, let it cool and cut into small cubes.
- Combine mayo, yogurt, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Add chicken, grapes, apples, celery, and let it chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat it.
- Mix in pecans right before serving.
- Serve over baby greens.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo Credit: Jess Larson