This is the Best Guacamole Recipe, and it’s so easy to make! A healthy vegetarian dip to serve it with chips, tacos, tostones, chicken enchiladas, and more.
Homemade Guacamole Recipe
Want to know how to make guacamole? This easy guacamole recipe, made with Haas avocados, red onion, cilantro, and lots of lime juice, is always on rotation in my house. I add a little fresh garlic as my secret ingredient for some extra zing. It’s the BEST! This guac is a staple at every gathering and a must when we have taco nights. Tommy is always in charge of making it, and he has converted many non-avocado lovers with this recipe. Another favorite is this Crab Guacamole.
Is Guacamole Healthy?
Avocados may be high in fat, but they have the essential healthy fats we should consume daily. They are also high in fiber, rich in vitamins B, E, and K, and have “60 percent more potassium than bananas.”
What is traditional guacamole made of?
Authentic guacamole recipes are made with just a few simple ingredients – avocados, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, garlic, and salt.
- Avocados: Avocado flesh from ripe medium Haas avocados
- Lime: Juice one lime
- Red Onion: Mince a third cup of red onion
- Garlic: Mash one small garlic clove
- Cilantro: If you don’t like cilantro, omit it
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tomato and Jalapeño: Although we usually prefer our guacamole without tomato and jalapeño, you can add it if you desire. Use serrano pepper to make it extra spicy.
How to make guacamole:
- Start with perfectly ripe avocados. If it’s too hard, or over-ripe, the results will be less than stellar.
- The trick is to a good guacamole is leave large chunks of avocado for the best consistency; don’t puree or mash them thoroughly.
- Having the perfect balance of lime juice, red onion and salt is essential.
- If you like it spicy, you can add some diced jalapeño, some people also like to add diced tomato which is fine, but we like it just like this!
Tips For Making Guacamole Ahead:
- Guacamole really is best when made fresh. But, if need to make it a little ahead of time, put the pits in the bowl with it, along with some cut up lime wedges and cover it tightly with plastic wrap on the surface of the guacamole. Place in refrigerator a few hours until ready to eat.
- Adding extra lime juice help prevent browning.
- I recommend making it the same day, but if you must this should keep 1 day. If the top browns, scrape the top off and the rest should be green.
- Refrigerate leftovers up to 24 hours.
Can you use lemon juice instead of lime in guacamole?
Traditional guacamole is made with lime juice, but if you’re out, lemon is a good substitute.
What to serve with Guacamole
Guacamole dip is great with baked tortilla chips, lentil chips, or Air Fryer Tostones. I like it on top of nachos, chicken fajitas, tacos, or tostadas. You can also spread it on a wrap, sandwich, or turkey burgers instead of mayonnaise.
More Avocado Recipes
- Avocado Fries
- Spicy Crab Stuffed Avocado
- Avocado Egg Rolls
- Chicken Avocado Soup
- Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
Best Guacamole Recipe
- 15 ounces pitted and halved avocados, from 3 medium hass
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup red onion, minced
- 1 small garlic clove, mashed or minced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- kosher salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- optional: diced tomato and jalapeño
- Make the guacamole: Place the pulp from the avocados in a medium bowl and slightly mash with a fork or a potato masher leaving some large chunks. Add lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro, red onion, garlic and mix thoroughly.
- If you are serving this at a later time: a great tip to keep the guacamole from turning brown is to cover tightly with plastic wrap so no air gets on it.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- 5 Ingredients or Less
- Avocado Obsessed
- Budget Friendly Meals
- Cinco De Mayo
- Dairy Free
- Egg Free Recipes
- Gluten Free
- Healthy Snacks
- How To Make: Simple Recipes for Beginners
- Keto Recipes
- Kid Friendly
- Latin Recipes
- Lenten Friendly Recipes
- Low Carb
- Party Apps
- Skinny Dips
- Super Bowl Recipes
- Under 30 Minutes
- Vegan Recipes
- Vegetarian Meals
- Weight Watchers – WW Recipes
- Whole30 Recipes